GPS only works with battery cover OFF!!

dweezle

Reaction score
I have spent 3 days trouble shooting a non-working GPS in my Droid X. I have found out that the GPS will work with the battery cover off, but not on. Suggestions? Serious only please. I've been chasing this long enough to have destroyed any sense of humor. I could use some help. I know I could just use the phone without the battery cover, but that's plain not gonna happen.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
What are you expecting to hear? You've described how to get your GPS receiver to work. Unless you can connect an external antenna there are no other options aside from replacing the device.

ConqSoft

Reaction score
You can correct this by cutting a 2mm diameter hole in your battery cover exactly 5.6mm from the top and 4.2mm from the left side.

Not responsible for anyone that actually does this.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming you've mentioned this to Verizon?

jefbystereo

Reaction score
That indicates a hardware problem. Is the cover shorting out anything?

OP
D

dweezle

Reaction score
That indicates a hardware problem. Is the cover shorting out anything?
Seems to be what's happening. I took it to a cell phone repair shop and 2 caps had some sign of previous water damage. They were attached to a ribbon cable that effects the GPS. Having it replaced. I'll see how it works after the replacement. So much for craigslist bargains. The seller turned out to be a great guy and stood behind the deal 100%. I can have my $$ back if I want. He was very apologetic for my trouble.

chasm31

Reaction score
I just found out last night I am having this same problem. Took me more than three days to diagnose. It's almost instant with better cover on and off. trying to find out what the metal prong next to battery pull tab is.

djRamage

Reaction score
I also just figured this out last night. I have been trying to solve the problem of lack of GPS for days. I try taking the battery cover off, and instantly gain access and lock to SATs... There is no water or physical damage causing this from my knowledge. My question, is it fault with the battery door or the phone?

OP
D

dweezle

Reaction score
I also just figured this out last night. I have been trying to solve the problem of lack of GPS for days. I try taking the battery cover off, and instantly gain access and lock to SATs... There is no water or physical damage causing this from my knowledge. My question, is it fault with the battery door or the phone?

Before I had the tech replace the internal parts, I tried two other Droid X battery doors. Then after screwing around with trying to figure it out, the GPS just stopped altogether. That's when I had the shop replace parts. It has been working 100% since then. I know that isn't much help. I know that this problem drove me round the bend until I just bit the bullet and had it fixed. In my case the seller covered the repair cost. I can't understand why there are so many DXs out there with this exact problem. It seems possible that it was a buggy internal part (technical term), rather than water damage. Please post back with whatever you find. It will help others being made nuts by this problem.