GPS/Navigation View Without Directions?

digriz60

Reaction score
I want to use the street level GPS view without being forced to input a destination. The reason is, Maps' overhead view/traffic/satellite is too small of a screen to see while driving (without taking dangerously long to decipher the 8 pt. text).

So, I want to use Google Navigation, but rarely need the navigation part of it, but the screen 3D view is much easier to read. Is there a way to get this view without being forced to input a source and destination?

Thanks!

ShowTime

Reaction score
So you just want the street view of your destination without having to type in the destination and follow the navigation? Bring up the map, scroll to a view over your destination, zoom in two or three times. Then long press on the map over your destination area. It will pop up with a speech-type bubble with the addresses/destinations of places in that spot. Click the bubble and select street view.

Is that what you were looking for? Or were you actually wanting to navigate within street view the whole time? That I'm nearly positive you can't do. For one, there's no way it would be able to update quick enough to keep up as you traveled.

k9cop

Reaction score
Unknown what the OP is looking for, but I have a similar question. Most stand alone GPS devices allow you to view the same view without entering a destination. Kind of like a "third person fly behind the car type view". Is there a way to get this view?

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's typically referred to as a 3D "Follow Me" map. I don't see a way to do this with the Google Nav app. Another nav app may offer it or Google may add it in the future.

OP
digriz60

digriz60

Reaction score
Yeah, the follow me or "driver's perspective." After looking around yesterday, I don't think Google has done anything in that respect yet.