GPS does not work

JoelGonzalezacc

Reaction score
Please Please Please help, i used to own an og droid and Google maps was the best feature on it upgrading to the samsung charge noticed that it is night and day, locating my location takes forever and when it does picks it up its never accurate.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using DroidForums

spdivr1122

Reaction score
Please Please Please help, i used to own an og droid and Google maps was the best feature on it upgrading to the samsung charge noticed that it is night and day, locating my location takes forever and when it does picks it up its never accurate.

Mine hasn't picked up my location once yet. I'm glad I have a garmin

OP
J

JoelGonzalezacc

Reaction score
Called vz tech support... Nothing.
Anybody else has this problem with their gps on their samsung??

CTownDroid

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Mine was extremely slow to locate me, like 3-5 minutes some times. I recently downloaded the Test GPS app from the market. Ran the test, it would find a few satellites but wouldn't lock on for a couple minutes.

In the app I cleared the "AGPS", rebooted the phone and ran Test GPS app again and almost instantly located 8-9 satellites and locked in on three of them quickly. With an accuracy of 20'. Dead on basically. Note: did all this while standing in the yard with a clear shot of the sky.

Have to thank BaileyJD21...(sorry if i messed up the spelling).

Last edited:
OP
J

JoelGonzalezacc

Reaction score
Will try, thank you. Does the app needs to be running in the background all the time?

MissyJones01

Reaction score
The third time I visited Verizon with this issue they replaced my phone. No problem with the new one.

OP
J

JoelGonzalezacc

Reaction score
Did they replace it after the 14 days trial or before?

MissyJones01

Reaction score
After. They had to mail me the new one but it was sent overnight. All I had to do was put the old SIM card in the new phone and send the old phone back.

mayhap

Reaction score
I am on #3 and I have the same GPS issue with each phone. I have learned that you have to start the gps while NOT moving to get it to work. Pretty Lame. I miss my OG droid every day.dancedroid

dgphotog

Reaction score
I am on #3 and I have the same GPS issue with each phone. I have learned that you have to start the gps while NOT moving to get it to work. Pretty Lame. I miss my OG droid every day.dancedroid

I found a very helpful and knowledgeable Verizon tech person on the phone who told me she believes the GPS issue (as well as some others) has to do with the fact that moving between 3G and 4G areas is anything but seamless. My house is on the fringe of a 4G area so by standing up in my den or bending down to pet my dog, I'm probably going from 3G to a weak 4G signal. Same goes when I'm in the car. Are folks that are having this trouble in a similar situation? She told me that Samsung is aware of this issue, but also told me that realistically, if it is in fact a hand-off problem, I shouldn't hold my breath waiting for a solution - but that when my area goes fully 4G, I may be happier.

vabeach1

Reaction score
Same issue

You are correct. It take my Charge 2-3 minutes to lock onto a GPS signal when starting up Google Maps. Quite unacceptable.

MarkO

Reaction score
Here in Lowell it takes a minute or two, but up at my house in rural NH it takes a lot longer and usually I give up after about 5-10 minutes. Sucks, because that's when I need it for navigation.

Samsung/Google/Verizon really need to work on this issue. I could not see this happening with an iPhone.

Kassy.matthews

Reaction score
I had this same problem... I downloaded agps tracker that does what sats its looking at. I turn on google gps and the phone gps and start both google maps and gps tracker and that seemed to help a little. One thing o found is that if you turn your blue tooth on it locks aLOT faster...

Halo

Reaction score
For those that are interested, flashing the EP1W modem seems to have corrected this issue. For advanced users, you can edit your /system/etc/gps.conf to lock on to only North American satellites. My GPS locks in usually in 30-45 secs.