GPS and Battery Use

Reaction score
I know GPS can be a battery drainer. But if I simply leave the GPS setting on but kill all the tasks that use GPS will that drain the battery? Isn't only actively using the GPS when the icon is displayed in the bar?

INSANENEIVIESIS

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.shadowrom.com
well its been said before there is no need for task manager, but i will leave that up to you.

to answer your question yes it will matter a bit but nothing to much, i suggest using the power control widget that comes with your phone and just turn it on when you need it.

6 more to 500 post. :D

OP
Sweet Kitten Feet
Reaction score
Yeah I have power control. Just always forget to turn it on before going into nav. Then it makes me go into the setting or I go home to the widget and then back into nav. Just looking for a shortcut for when I forget.

I think I'll leave the setting on for a day but not use it and evaluate the battery usage. Thanks!

OP
Sweet Kitten Feet
Reaction score
oh, massive fail on my part. I forgot the browser uses GPS for location. I don't get a GPS signal inside my building so it's constantly searching. Guess I just have to remember to turn it on each time.

Riley

Reaction score
I have found my battery life to increase by 20% or so when keeping my GPS off. My work building impedes it too and with different apps looking for GPS every hour or so it ate my battery up each day.

OP
Sweet Kitten Feet
Reaction score
yeah i've always kept it off. Keep that off, and using Juice Defender have greatly increased my battery life. Like I said I was just getting lazy forgetting to turn it on and off.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
oh, massive fail on my part. I forgot the browser uses GPS for location. I don't get a GPS signal inside my building so it's constantly searching. Guess I just have to remember to turn it on each time.
Or don't leave the browser on a page that uses location.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

There is now a setting in the stock browser that allows you to turn off the location searching by various websites. (Menu>More>Settings>Enable Location.)