Got my DX, what tools do I need now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

budmonster

I just got my DX yesterday, already has 2.2 on it. I'm really getting confused on how to root the DX like I did with my D1, it seem more difficult?

For root, everyone has told me to use Z4Root. So I know how to root.

What other tools do I need?

Am I able to download Rom Mananger and flash Clockwork Recovery on the DX so I can do backups, etc. like I did on my old D1? If not how do I do it? After the root process this is where I get confused on how flash a recovery, do backups, kernels, overclocking(SETcpu), etc.? :huh:

Thx:)-Bud

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
yea z4root works. youre also gonna need the bootstrap from koush - available at his website - to use a custom recovery

Rom Manager does work for DX roms, just know what ur doing (by reading the threads on here on how to go about applying them)

kernels arent available for the DX yet, but there are ways to OC using scripts - apps are on the market or u can do it urself for free

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hello! It's nice to be a DX owner:)

-Z4Root for rooting device (in market free). You can also find a 1-Click method here>>>How to root a Droid X running the official Android 2.2 update

-Root Explorer for file management.

-Bootstrap Recovery for access to Clockwork.

-ROM Manager if you desire. Can do the same thing manually through Bootstrap.

-Titanium Backup for freezing apps you don't use. You can also rename them through Root Explorer.

Hope this helps a little and gives you a jump start.

OP
B

budmonster

is there a free version of Bootstrap Recovery? im absolutely broke right now. im a student and pretty much have 82 cents to my name right now.

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
Lol, had to edit. I didn't know he had one on his site for free. Nice!

And unfortunately some of the "must have" apps you will see cost a little. Sometime a lot.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

And unfortunately some of the "must have" apps you will see cost a little. Sometime a lot.

learn new stuff everyday :)

OP
B

budmonster

yeah jrummys overclocking app will cost me, lol.

OP
B

budmonster

i used z4root and it worked, superuser is there. i installed rom manager too. i installed koush droid x boot strapper after. i opend the app i click bootstrap recovery and then i click reboot recovery. it then went into clockworkmod recovery, but its not the lastest version as in rom manager.

OP
B

budmonster

and when i open up rom manager, i cant flash clockwork or download a rom. i get this error: "a network error has occured. retry or cancel and return to the previous screen."
same when i try to open up the market.

elitecmdr666

Reaction score
and when i open up rom manager, i cant flash clockwork or download a rom. i get this error: "a network error has occured. retry or cancel and return to the previous screen."

k i was thinking that if you are having that problem with the rom manager try skipping that step and use clockwork, try doing it manually. the reason i tell u this is cause i also downloaded the rom manager and did not use it just ended it transfering files from my pc to the droid and thats how i got my rom cause for some reason some roms in the rom manager are not up to date if im correct...also quick question besides rooting did u do anything else.

OP
B

budmonster

k i was thinking that if you are having that problem with the rom manager try skipping that step and use clockwork, try doing it manually. the reason i tell u this is cause i also downloaded the rom manager and did not use it just ended it transfering files from my pc to the droid and thats how i got my rom cause for some reason some roms in the rom manager are not up to date if im correct...also quick question besides rooting did u do anything else.

i didnt do anything. this is what i did.

1. rooted with Z4Root.
2. installed Rom Manager
3. install Droid X Bootstrapper
4. opened bootstrapper, i taped “Bootstrap Recovery.” i got “Success!” and then i tapped OK and hit “Reboot Recovery.” It booted into Clockwork Recovery and then I just rebooted my phone.

I then tried using Rom Mananger and the Market and I got that error.

Also, why is the the Droid X Bootstrapper recovery an older version than the Rom Manager I have installed.

EDIT: I unistalled Rom Manager and Droid X Bootstrapper and still getting those errors.

elitecmdr666

Reaction score

i didnt do anything. this is what i did.

1. rooted with Z4Root.
2. installed Rom Manager
4. opened bootstrapper, i taped “Bootstrap Recovery.” i got “Success!” and then i tapped OK and hit “Reboot Recovery.” It booted into Clockwork Recovery and then I just rebooted my phone.

I then tried using Rom Mananger and the Market and I got that error.

Also, why is the the Droid X Bootstrapper recovery an older version than the Rom Manager I have installed.

EDIT: I unistalled Rom Manager and Droid X Bootstrapper and still getting those errors.

hmmm thats weird cause i kind of did it that way though mines was like this:

1. rooted with Z4Root.
2. installed Rom Manager
4. opened bootstrapper and made a backup as soon as i rooted

im thinking that it has to do something with the way u did did the 4th step, now i would not worry about that if ur going to install a new ROM, heres is what i do, i just find the ROM that u want download it to you computer then move the zip file to your phone using usb...dont use the ROM manager

Last edited:
OP
B

budmonster

Man what is going on? I went into Z4Root and clicked "unroot", I then rebooted and it booted in clockwork recovery. I clicked the reboot option and now my market works.

Status
Not open for further replies.