Got it :)

Reaction score
ok i just picked up my droid from VZ and they tried to transfer my contacts from my dare and they said that it wouldnt work. does anyone know a quick way to transfer them? not by hand?

ashkev843

Reaction score
I had to enter all of mine into my google accnt from my dare. I don't know if there is another way.

Reaction score
Yes there is a way, this is what I did

Go download bitpim (google it)
Plug your old phone into your computer via USB
Open bitpim, hope it detects your phone. Assuming it does, click get phone data to get all contacts from the phone to your computer.
Next, file, export, csv contacts. Choose all contacts.
Then go into gmail contacts and go to import contacts, browse to csv, upload and bam! You have all your contacts in gmail.

Google also has a neat feature allowing you to merge several contacts into one, so like if you already had John Doe in your gmail contacts and now there are two b/c you downloaded the contact from your phone, you can highlight them both and choose to merge them into one contact to eliminate duplicates.

If you have trouble with bitpim, i'm not the one to ask. I had to end up using bluetooth to link my phone to the com6 port on my laptop and only THEN was I able to connect, but I know some phones connect to bitpim easily.

goodluck

kkluesner

Reaction score
If you had the Verizon backup assistant on your Dare--- you can export to CSV from the website as well.. and do the steps above.. thats how I did it. I did have bitpim too.. for my ENV2 that I upgraded from.

ResMJM

Reaction score

Open bitpim, hope it detects your phone. Assuming it does, click get phone data to get all contacts from the phone to your computer.
Then go into gmail contacts and go to import contacts, browse to csv, upload and bam! You have all your contacts in gmail.

Google also has a neat feature allowing you to merge several contacts into one, so like if you already had John Doe in your gmail contacts and now there are two b/c you downloaded the contact from your phone, you can highlight them both and choose to merge them into one contact to eliminate duplicates.

If you have trouble with bitpim, i'm not the one to ask. I had to end up using bluetooth to link my phone to the com6 port on my laptop and only THEN was I able to connect, but I know some phones connect to bitpim easily.

goodluck

Bitpim was my best friend when I used it for my Voyager. Then, I lost the USB cord. One of the saddest days of my life :(

Anonymouse

Reaction score
Yeah, on your Dare, you need verizon backup assistant, then back it up, make a my verizon account, go to the website and there's a guide to moving your contacts from a dumb phone to the Droid, bing bang boom you win at life.

superglen99

Reaction score
it can be done cause I had a dare and they transferred to my droid, try another VZW store.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Extracting the .csv and then uploading the G-mail is by far the best way. Also limits the chance of 'merged' or duplicate contacts.

Stormy Knight

Reaction score
The Verizon store couldn't transfer my contacts from my LG Glimmer to my Droid. I had to do everything by hand. Suckage.

Andres64

Reaction score

goodluck

Ok, I exported the BitPim file as CSV, opened in Excel and removed the extra fields, leaving only two columns (name and number), then saved as CSV again. But every time I import it to Gmail, it (Gmail) makes the phone number just a 'note' and leaves the 'phone' field empty. I think it must be something with the way the file is saved, but I can't figure it out. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

geordie

Reaction score
There are a lot of fields in the csv files that gmail exports, if that is the same format it wants to import then you may well have got out of alignment. How about trying a format that both programs know? Bitpim and Google both support vcards, so export from bitpim in vcard format and import them in to gmail.

But the Verizon store should be able to do this for you, some are better at this sort of thing than others. At our nearest store they can do everything we ever asked for, including initially pulling my data off an AT&T Nokia phone.

Last edited: