Got a Droid today

DaveH

Reaction score
Hello, first post and a new Droid owner....switched from a enV Touch. This is a cool phone, can't wait to find a few of the classic games for it and get some good apps running. While it is much more powerful than the Touch, one thing that frustrates me is that it won't automatically resize a pic to the screen for use as wallpaper. I have a logo that I spent many hours on, and I can't seem to resize it to fit. Its difficult for me to believe that such a powerful device cannot do something so simple that even a Touch can do it. (I wanted to say caveman :)) The other thing (and I don't see this from my end) is that people I talk to have told me it sounds as though I'm a long ways away, or in a tunnel or something. Anyway, enough whining...The resolution is fantastic, and it's fast! It links up with my pc for file transfers with no issues at all so far. Overall I think this is going to be a winner once I get used to it.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
What? Do people actually talk on phones? I can't help you on the resizing issues, and can only tell you to make sure you're close enough to the phone. If you have continued complaints about being so far away, then you might want to take it in for an exchange.

Welcome to DF and to the world of Droid.

Guchi

Reaction score
congrats on getting the BEST phone out!

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Welcome to your newest obsession, DaveH! Glad you've decided to join us here on the forum!

Now, how have you tried to resize the logo? First, you need to mount the Droid and save the logo into the gallery. Which means simply to explore the Droid and put the image in the DCIM > Camera folder. Then remove the Droid and open up the Gallery. (If the picture doesn't show up, try a reboot - can't remember if I had to do that or not as it's been quite a while.) Anyway, when you open the gallery and find the picture, touch it, then touch the Menu soft key and 'Set as' then choose wallpaper. A box shows up on the picture and you can manipulate the size to grab the whole image and then hit 'Save'. Try that and see if it works any better for you.

OP
D

DaveH

Reaction score
Heh, I already have issues getting things done...this could potentially create a degree of static at home, if you know what I mean. :) Thanks for the welcome!

I was unable to get the box to resize enough to make the pic useable. It'll play with it some more.

MiXoLoGiSt

Reaction score
Heh, I already have issues getting things done...this could potentially create a degree of static at home, if you know what I mean. :) Thanks for the welcome!

I was unable to get the box to resize enough to make the pic useable. It'll play with it some more.

Congrats on your new Droid and welcome to the forums. How big is the original image? What you need to do is resize it to 960 x 854 on your computer then save the image to your Droid. This should be the correct size for it to work as a wallpaper.

peterjariel

Reaction score
Hey just curiouse did ur phone come with 2.1 already out of the box?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Welcome to your newest obsession, DaveH! Glad you've decided to join us here on the forum!

Now, how have you tried to resize the logo? First, you need to mount the Droid and save the logo into the gallery. Which means simply to explore the Droid and put the image in the DCIM > Camera folder. Then remove the Droid and open up the Gallery. (If the picture doesn't show up, try a reboot - can't remember if I had to do that or not as it's been quite a while.) Anyway, when you open the gallery and find the picture, touch it, then touch the Menu soft key and 'Set as' then choose wallpaper. A box shows up on the picture and you can manipulate the size to grab the whole image and then hit 'Save'. Try that and see if it works any better for you.

Welcome! Just thought I'd clarify...You don't HAVE to put the picture into any specific folder. You could create one called "Wallpapers" and the gallery would find it. :icon_ banana:

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
The resize feature allows you to stretch a photo. Open the photo and tap it will open a orange square around the photo. Place your finger at on on the corners and drag.

Mike

OP
D

DaveH

Reaction score
Congrats on your new Droid and welcome to the forums. How big is the original image? What you need to do is resize it to 960 x 854 on your computer then save the image to your Droid. This should be the correct size for it to work as a wallpaper.

Thanks. I resized it to slightly less than 960 x 854 on the computer (using MS Paint), then DL'd via USB. It pulls up from the gallery fine. If you just load it to simply look at it then it fits the screen just fine, but if you save it as the wallpaper it gets blown way up. The original large version looks fine as well, if you're just loading it to see it. The orange sizing box will not stretch far enough to grab all of it no matter what size you pull up.

Hey just curiouse did ur phone come with 2.1 already out of the box?

Yes, it did. Or at least it was running it after I pulled it out of the box and charged it.