Google's Chromecast Pulls Ahead of Apple TV in the Media Player Market

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
ParksAssociates-Streaming-Media-Devices-TopBrands.gif

It looks like Google's Chromecast is steadily eating away the marketshare of its competitors in the media player market landscape. According to a report from market researcher Parks Associates, the Chromecast has pulled ahead of the Apple TV and firmly into second place. It is also not too far behind the Roku which has seen its leading marketshare steadily eroded.

Their research also confirmed that consumer interest in media players is steadily on the rise. They claim that nearly 50% of video content watched by consumers in 2014 is now non-linear, which is up from 38% in 2013. Their report indicates that even the Amazon Fire TV (& Fire TV Stick), introduced in the middle of this year, quickly gained ground in the market, not far behind the AppleTV.

It must be worrisome for Apple that their product is seeing a decline in customer interest at a time when consumer demand for media devices is on the rise. The Parks Associates study indicated that 10% of households purchased a media player this year.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Very interesting news. Isn't it amazing that such a tiny device can have such a grand impact and knock out much more powerful devices when it comes right down to user appeal and functionality?

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
We bought a chromecast last weekend....very awesome little gadget!

sent from my sexy Note 4

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Very interesting news. Isn't it amazing that such a tiny device can have such a grand impact and knock out much more powerful devices when it comes right down to user appeal and functionality?

And then add in the very affordable price point on top of that. Google really knocked it out of the park with the Chromecast.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I just bought one over the weekend also, took advantage of the $23.99 price. Not sure if it's something we will use a lot, but seems like an awesome little device. Figured I might as well try it out. Should be here tomorrow. Once my kids learn that they can see their favorite YouTube videos on the big TV now, I will probably never see then thing again. :D

Beardface

Reaction score
Even more worrisome for Apple has to be that Amazon came out with the Fire TV stick at a lower price point than the Chromecast.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Even more worrisome for Apple has to be that Amazon came out with the Fire TV stick at a lower price point than the Chromecast.

That was only a limited time offer for Prime members ($19). The regular and current price for the Fire TV Stick is $39 (a bit higher than a Chromecast).

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
I do love the Chromecast, though it is not without it's drawbacks.

I don't think they can really compare. The Apple TV I think is a better device. With a few specific improvements it could be better.

Hands down the best part is that the app support is incredible.

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
I don't think they can really compare. The Apple TV I think is a better device. With a few specific improvements it could be better.

I think the AppleTV just really needs a refresh with some tech bumps to bring it up to snuff with the newer devices and have more Continuity features like all of the other Apple OS's. Imagine getting caller information on that thing while watching Walking Dead (or whatever you watch) and embarrassing your wife with phrases like, "Oh no. Your mom's calling again!" Text messages would be even more hilarious.

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
Watching my phone would be pretty lame. I make more calls than I take, and a good majority of them are work related.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You can not beat $35 for a media player. I think that is where the Chromecast shine in the cost department. With people still tethered to the big cable companies because of sports it is easier to shell out $35 vs $99.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk 2

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
That was only a limited time offer for Prime members ($19). The regular and current price for the Fire TV Stick is $39 (a bit higher than a Chromecast).

Yeah, I picked one up for that price during their promotion and its due to ship out on the 17th....Nice little stocking stuffer for myself.
While my BluRay player currently provides all the streaming services I'm currently paying for, it will be nice to have all the other options available if the need arises. It was an impulse buy due to the promotional pricing, but I'm really looking forward to it.

S5 tap'n