Google's CEO Larry Page Believes Steve Jobs' Android Hate was just 'for show.'

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Larry-Page.jpg

Here's an interesting twist that would have been hard to see coming had it shown up in a book or movie. According to a Businessweek interview with Google CEO and co-founder Larry Page, he actually had a good relationship with Steve Jobs, and was even mentored by him in many ways. In fact, Mr. Page believes that Steve Jobs' now famous declaration of "thermonuclear war" and his vow to "spend every last dime of Apple's money destroying Android" was merely for show. He further elaborated that it was likely a way for Steve Jobs to motivate his team by giving them a strong competitor to rally against. Here is the direct quote from the Businessweek article: (The bolded statements and questions were from the interviewer.)

According to the Steve Jobs biography by Walter Isaacson, when you became CEO you went to Jobs for advice. I know you had your differences at the end around Android, but what did you take from him as a mentor and a friend?

I think the Android differences were actually for show. I had a relationship with Steve. I wouldn’t say I spent a lot of time with him over the years, but I saw him periodically. Curiously enough, actually, he requested that meeting. He sent me an e-mail and said: “Hey, you want to get together and chat?” I said, “Sure, I’ll come over.” And we had a very nice talk. We always did when we had a discussion generally.

He was quite sick. I took it as an honor that he wanted to spend some time with me. I figured he wanted to spend time with his family at that point. He had a lot of interesting insights about how to run a company and that was pretty much what we discussed.

Wait, the fury around Android was for show?

I think that served their interests. For a lot of companies, it’s useful for them to feel like they have an obvious competitor and to rally around that. I personally believe that it’s better to shoot higher. You don’t want to be looking at your competitors. You want to be looking at what’s possible and how to make the world better.

That's a surprising take on things, and an interesting glimpse into the "behind the scenes" of the tech world. What do you guys think? Was Steve Jobs' malice toward Android genuine, an act, or something in-between? And, how do you guys feel about Larry Page's optimistic and forward-thinking view on business?

Source: Businessweek

Last edited:

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Seems plausible. Not sure if it worked to rally the engineers and programmers since they tend to be using a lot of Android features, but it sure did rally the patent lawyers.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think a lot of it is for show... business is business, and especially with Google / Apple, they had a good relationship before Google/Android took off. So I'd be willing there was mutual respect, despite the marketing hype that was a business thing.

nikecar

Reaction score
Android is for folks who can think and can figure things out and want options.
Apple isn't.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Do not turn this into an android vs. apple argument... the news article clearly shows the respect Page/Jobs had for each other, why don't we keep with that theme...

Insidious

Reaction score
Larry-Page.jpg

Here's an interesting twist that would have been hard to see coming had it shown up in a book or movie. According to a Businessweek interview with Google CEO and co-founder Larry Page, he actually had a good relationship with Steve Jobs, and was even mentored by him in many ways. In fact, Mr. Page believes that Steve Jobs' now famous declaration of "thermonuclear war" and his vow to "spend every last dime of Apple's money destroying Android" was merely for show. He further elaborated that it was likely a way for Steve Jobs to motivate his team by giving them a strong competitor to rally against. Here is the direct quote from the Businessweek article: (The bolded statements and questions were from the interviewer.)

That's a surprising take on things, and an interesting glimpse into the "behind the scenes" of the tech world. What do you guys think? Was Steve Jobs' malice toward Android genuine, an act, or something in-between? And, how do you guys feel about Larry Page's optimistic and forward-thinking view on business?

Source: Businessweek

I finished the Steve Jobs bio a few days ago and thought exactly this. Jobs had told Page that the recipe for success was focusing on only like 3 or 4 products.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums

NoBloatware

Reaction score
Steve Jobs was unaivailable for comment.

Seriously though, Jobs declared war against a force of more freedom (Android) while Apple's platform awed us with it's LAUGHABLE level of UNsophistication and COMMITTED LACK of openness, etc., etc. Jobs sold out. An amazing rollercoaster ride of integrity. Dr. Page is too nice.

Last edited by a moderator:

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
The irony of that statement, alongside your name, is that the iPhone has no bloatware and has the carriers bending over for them much moreso than Android.

NoBloatware

Reaction score
The irony of that statement, alongside your name, is that the iPhone has no bloatware and has the carriers bending over for them much moreso than Android.

Bloatware, one thing to fight on Android. Comparatively, Apple products were designed in Mt. Doom. THROW IT BACK IN THE FIRE, iphone users.

I'm not sure what carriers bending over to get the popular phone has to do with this other than to show just how high Jobs' BS train climbed.

NoBloatware

Reaction score
God get over the hatred, you will find life is far more pleasant when you aren't waisting hatred on trivial things.

The world without free criticism is impotent. Only the stupid/insecure bleat "haters gonna hate."

You get over yourself. Why don't you stop attacking me and start defending Jobs and Apple instead? Apple is a big sham. Jobs became shameful. Argue it or deflect.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
You don't have to be a jerk to be critical of something either. I am not gonna let you bait me into an argument simply because you choose to live viewing everything through rose colored glasses. I don't think I am the one who needs to get over myself when I am not the one hating on people for buying a certain brand. But whatever, live with that hatred in your heart, it will do you well.....

NoBloatware

Reaction score
People that agree with you probably enjoy iPhones. Who cares? Can we get back on topic? Jobs: slimeball yes or no?