Google Voice???

bje1982

Reaction score
Hi I have a quick question about Google Voice.

1) how the hell do you get an invite without waiting for Google?
2) Will the numbers I call and text use minutes and texts or is it %100 independent of my Verizon phone bill ?

Thank you in advance and any info or experiences with Google Voice would be appreciated.

Last edited:

lakerfan82

Reaction score
1) There should be a thread somewhere on this forum where people are giving out invites, otherwise you can purchase an invite on ebay.
2) Yes, you will have an app called voice that is very similar to the Messaging app, you can send texts from it and also if you set up google voice to be your voicemail you will also recieve transcribed visual voicemail in that app. Directions to set up google voice as your voicemail are found on voice.google.com in the settings.
3) If you use google voice to make phone calls, all phone calls will count against your monthly minute plan (unless you add your google voice # to your My Circle, F&F, etc) as it calls your google voice number as a gateway before making the call. The main reason to use google voice to make phone calls are the cheaper international rates (ie free calling to Canada). Another feature of google voice is that you can set it to call all of your phone numbers (work, mobile, home) if someone calls your google voice number. Directions at voice.google.com.

Last edited:
OP
bje1982

bje1982

Reaction score
1) There should be a thread somewhere on this forum where people are giving out invites, otherwise you can purchase an invite on ebay.
2) Yes, you will have an app called voice that is very similar to the Messaging app, you can send texts from it and also if you set up google voice to be your voicemail you will also recieve transcribed visual voicemail in that app. Directions to set up google voice as your voicemail are found on voice.google.com in the settings.
3) If you use google voice to make phone calls, all phone calls will count against your monthly minute plan (unless you add your google voice # to your My Circle, F&F, etc) as it calls your google voice number as a gateway before making the call. The main reason to use google voice to make phone calls are the cheaper international rates (ie free calling to Canada). Another feature of google voice is that you can set it to call all of your phone numbers (work, mobile, home) if someone calls your google voice number. Directions at voice.google.com.

So if I send and recieve texts or make or recieve calls it will use my Verizon plan and show up on the bill like normal?

lakerfan82

Reaction score
If you send and recieve texts through the google voice app, you will not be charged by verizon for texts. Since the app uses 3g data, verizon is unaware you are even sending/recieving texts through the app. Its just like browsing the web or streaming pandora (no extra charge beyond normal monthly data charges).

If you use the google voice app to make and recieve calls, it will still use your Verizon minutes (unless your google voice number is in your Friends & Family) because it uses your google voice number as a gateway to make/receive calls. For example, lets say you make a call to a Canadian number for ten minutes using google voice on 4/8/10. When you look at your April bill, you will see a ten minute call to your google voice number on that date.

When somebody calls your google voice number, google voice forwards the caller's phone number to your caller id, so it will show up as a call from that number (not your google voice number). Your bill will show a call from that number on the date you received the call. You do have the option to set google voice to forward your google voice number instead of the caller's actual number, but then you won't know who's calling. However, if you were to go that route and add your google voice number to your Friend's and Family, any call made to google voice would not be charged against your minutes. In addition, your bill would show a call received from your google voice number.

Please let me know if that's not clear enough or if you have any other questions...

Last edited:

bryan.teeples

Reaction score
Google Voice for Military

Anyone with a .mil email address can get a google voice account in 24hours. Just do a search for "google voice military invite" and it will take you to a sign up page for people with a .mil address. If you enter that, you can get an invite in 24 hours.

Not sure if that helps you get an account or not. Maybe you know someone that can use it to get you an invite.

OP
bje1982

bje1982

Reaction score
If you send and recieve texts through the google voice app, you will not be charged by verizon for texts. Since the app uses 3g data, verizon is unaware you are even sending/recieving texts through the app. Its just like browsing the web or streaming pandora (no extra charge beyond normal monthly data charges).

If you use the google voice app to make and recieve calls, it will still use your Verizon minutes (unless your google voice number is in your Friends & Family) because it uses your google voice number as a gateway to make/receive calls. For example, lets say you make a call to a Canadian number for ten minutes using google voice on 4/8/10. When you look at your April bill, you will see a ten minute call to your google voice number on that date.

When somebody calls your google voice number, google voice forwards the caller's phone number to your caller id, so it will show up as a call from that number (not your google voice number). Your bill will show a call from that number on the date you received the call. You do have the option to set google voice to forward your google voice number instead of the caller's actual number, but then you won't know who's calling. However, if you were to go that route and add your google voice number to your Friend's and Family, any call made to google voice would not be charged against your minutes. In addition, your bill would show a call received from your google voice number.

Please let me know if that's not clear enough or if you have any other questions...

Thank you you guys are very helpful..

OP
bje1982

bje1982

Reaction score
Anyone with a .mil email address can get a google voice account in 24hours. Just do a search for "google voice military invite" and it will take you to a sign up page for people with a .mil address. If you enter that, you can get an invite in 24 hours.

Not sure if that helps you get an account or not. Maybe you know someone that can use it to get you an invite.

Thats a good idea I actually know someone in the army.. thanks

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
There's a common misunderstanding in this thread.

When dialing out, GV does not use your GV number. It uses an access number which is not your GV number. You can add the access number to F&F for free outbound calls but be aware that it can change. As an example, I'm in Houston, my GV number has a Houston area code but the access number that GV uses on outbound calls is an Austin number. All your outbound calls with GV will show this access number on your VZW bill.

There's at least one app out there that will place all outbound calls via your GV number but it's not part of the standard GV app.

1) There should be a thread somewhere on this forum where people are giving out invites
Funny thing is that it's stickied at the top of this very forum. Don't overlook the stickies!

Last edited:
OP
bje1982

bje1982

Reaction score
There's a common misunderstanding in this thread.

When dialing out, GV does not use your GV number. It uses an access number which is not your GV number. You can add the access number to F&F for free outbound calls but be aware that it can change. As an example, I'm in Houston, my GV number has a Houston area code but the access number that GV uses on outbound calls is an Austin number. All your outbound calls with GV will show this access number on your VZW bill.

There's at least one app out there that will place all outbound calls via your GV number but it's not part of the standard GV app.

1) There should be a thread somewhere on this forum where people are giving out invites
Funny thing is that it's stickied at the top of this very forum. Don't overlook the stickies!

Guys I did see the sticky but the posts looked old I figured not to even bother because I thought people would be all over the invites and there wouldnt be any left. I had a friend invite me so thank you everyone I love this site by the way!!!