Google Voice: making phone calls?

papy72

Reaction score
Just looking for the opinions of the general populace regarding GV calls.

Do you have it set to make all of your calls with it?

How does it work? Does the phone use your cell radio to call a GV server, which then routes the call to the recipient? Or is it a call over your 3G network? I ask this because when I try to use GV to make my calls it seems as though it enjoys dropping calls on me, and I was wondering if it might be the 3G coverage in the area I'm using it at.

validoption

Reaction score

How does it work? Does the phone use your cell radio to call a GV server, which then routes the call to the recipient? Or is it a call over your 3G network? I ask this because when I try to use GV to make my calls it seems as though it enjoys dropping calls on me, and I was wondering if it might be the 3G coverage in the area I'm using it at.

I have it set to not make any calls, but I keep the toggle shortcut handy so I can activate it when I need it. I use it primarily when I am making a call that I don't want my cell number revealed during. It's the number I typically give my students' parents, or use when contacting them.

I also have my GV set as my default voicemail for the free visual voicemail, though the transcriptions sometimes leave much to be desired--but I don't have another app to compare it to.

It is not data based.

Sent from my Droid

validoption

Reaction score
Another reason I don't use it for all calls is because the majority of people I do call are all VZW customers, so why waste minutes on what would be a free M2M call?

Sent from my Droid

ntxct

Reaction score
From my experience (and sheer guessing, no real evidence) GV dials out to a local number that I imagine is a server google owns. It then dials to the person/number you wanted to while masking the original number you dialed with the GV number you chose.

Now if you have Family and Friends on your Verizon account, you can write down the number GV originally dials and add it to the F&F list, thus every call is free.

However I recently went on vacation and noticed GV was calling a different server number, so the number may be based on your location.. cell towers, closest google server, etc...

Once again, this is all my hypothesis on how it works and I have no real data to back it up :-(

masters

Reaction score
From my experience (and sheer guessing, no real evidence) GV dials out to a local number that I imagine is a server google owns. It then dials to the person/number you wanted to while masking the original number you dialed with the GV number you chose.

Now if you have Family and Friends on your Verizon account, you can write down the number GV originally dials and add it to the F&F list, thus every call is free.

However I recently went on vacation and noticed GV was calling a different server number, so the number may be based on your location.. cell towers, closest google server, etc...

Once again, this is all my hypothesis on how it works and I have no real data to back it up :-(

Just adding your GV number to friends and family works..

ntxct

Reaction score

You're probably right however Im just curious since (no these arent real) if my GV number is 386 232 9293. When I dial out to someone, the screen says, calling via 386 542 1843, so it's not dialing my GV number but a separate one entirely.

tommyz

Reaction score
I have it set to not make any calls, but I keep the toggle shortcut handy so I can activate it when I need it.

It is not data based.

Sent from my Droid

What "toggle shortcut" are you refering too?

I only wish you could do something in your contacts, so Google Voice would automatically dial with or without GV.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score

Not sure why you're collecting opinions. What you need to do is determine how you intend to use it rather than use it based on the most popular options.

All calls are placed via GV for me. My GV number is the only number I give out. That really has no relevance on your wants/needs unless they just happen to coincide with my own.

Gv does use data but all calls are placed (and received) using voice minutes.

Another reason I don't use it for all calls is because the majority of people I do call are all VZW customers, so why waste minutes on what would be a free M2M call?
Add the access number (not the same as your GV number) GV uses to F&F and all outbound calls are free. You can use a workaround for free inbound calls but it's not really worth it IMO as you lose caller ID -- though I guess you could use call presentation instead. Your F&F list and M2M minutes still apply on all inbound calls as long as you don't change the GV caller ID setting.

That is incorrect unless you do one of the following:

• Use an app that dials out on your GV number
  • Modify all your contacts so they all dial out via your GV number
  • Manually dial out on your GV number for all calls
You'd also need to use the caller ID trick to get free inbound calls as the above is only germane to inbound calls.

PLEASE refer to the other GV threads and guides. This has been discussed quite a bit and there's quite a bit of information available both here and elsewhere on the net.

If in doubt, test and then check your usage to confirm.

Also incorrect -- see above. GV by itself doesn't dial out using your GV number. Nor do your contacts call from your GV number.

Last edited:

ntxct

Reaction score
That is incorrect unless you do one of the following:

• Use an app that dials out on your GV number
  • Modify all your contacts so they all dial out via your GV number
  • Manually dial out on your GV number for all calls
You'd also need to use the caller ID trick to get free inbound calls as the above is only germane to inbound calls.

PLEASE refer to the other GV threads and guides. This has been discussed quite a bit and there's quite a bit of information available both here and elsewhere on the net.

If in doubt, test and then check your usage to confirm.

I'm sorry I wasn't clear, I meant that outbound calls would be free, and as the way I have it set up, my verizon number is a Michigan area code, however I live in Florida now and have a Fl GV number. So I have the option of "always ask when calling", so when I press a contact to dial out, it opens the "Call with Google Voice / Call without Google Voice" options and then I decide what number to call from. Just wanted to clear it up as your list of options made it sound as its a chore to use GV.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hope my tone wasn't too negative. I was just trying to clarify as many people find GV very confusing. It's really not too difficult if you sit down and think on it a bit.