Google Voice Help

713King

Reaction score
Hey guys i got a GVoice invite a week ago or so and well what i wanted to know is how do i check to see if used my current number for google voice or got a different number for google voice? Because from what i heard is that by using your own number you wont be able to use the free SMS. Now to that being said how can i txt for free using Google Voice? So i wont have to add the $10 plan for 500 txt messages or the $5 dollar one.

Is it the Google Voice Access Number? and Registered Phones is that to were GV number forwards my voicemails to ect.?

Last edited:

Mojo

Reaction score
When you set up your google voice you will set up a new number. Google voice does not have the ability to port in your exisisting number.

OP

713King

Reaction score
Well because on google voice on the top right hand side of the page it has a number thats not mine it starts with (512) is that the number provided for me? I have to call that number provided for me to check my voice mail right?

OP

713King

Reaction score
Ah ok so how would i be able to do free text messaging like some people talk about, on my Android Phone when i get it again?

Leckert123

Reaction score
From GV's help page:

I already selected an option. Am I using a Google number or non-Google number?
You can determine which option you selected during Google Voice setup in one of two ways. While logged into Google Voice, the top right corner of your screen should display your Google Account's username and a phone number. If you selected a custom Google number during setup, you should see this number only. If you selected a non-Google number during setup, you should see your access number next to a small blue voicemail icon. The following screenshots show an example.
Using a Google number
voice_164819_gvtop_en.gif
Using a non-Google number
voice_164819_vmicon_en.gif
Alternatively, the navigation menu on the left side of Google Voice will indicate which option you selected during setup. If you selected a custom Google number during setup, the navigation menu should have both the 'Call' and 'SMS' buttons, as well as navigation options for 'SMS', 'Recorded', and 'Received'. If you selected a non-Google number during setup, you should only see the 'Call' button. The navigation options for 'SMS', 'Recorded', and 'Received' should be gone as shown in the screenshots below.

Mojo

Reaction score
Ah ok so how would i be able to do free text messaging like some people talk about, on my Android Phone when i get it again?

Download and set up google voice app on your phone. You can text from that app for free

OP

713King

Reaction score
thank you for the help! it looks like i have the 2nd option lol. So do i make a new email and invite my self again so i can be able to txt msg for free? Also when someone sends me a txt msg would they have to put that number or my regular phone number?

How do i invite someone to google voice?

"I guess i dont have google voice invites yet, i will trade Google Wave invite for a google voice invite so i can set up a phone number :D" *NVM* thnx guys

Last edited:

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Download and set up google voice app on your phone. You can text from that app for free
gixxerjoe - one thing that is driving me crazy about Google Voice texting....when I send a message it sends twice to the other person, when I receive a message back I get two notifications - one to GV and the other to Handcent. Is there a setting I'm missing?

Mojo

Reaction score
I don't use hand cent so I don't know why you would be getting duplicate text. Try to delete handcent and see if you still send and receive double.

Dragoro

Reaction score
If you have google voice, but not as main number, but have text through gv choosen, does handcent send through google voice or your verizon number?

OP

713King

Reaction score
So people have to call the number that google provided? in order for you to get the txt msg and a call or what? Also do i add my google number into my top 10 friends and family so i can have unlimited calling or what? or how does that come into play :-s

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
gixxerjoe - one thing that is driving me crazy about Google Voice texting....when I send a message it sends twice to the other person, when I receive a message back I get two notifications - one to GV and the other to Handcent. Is there a setting I'm missing?
IIRC you need to uncheck "Receive SMS on this phone" in your phone settings in Google Voice. Then you can send/receive via just the GV app.

If you have google voice, but not as main number, but have text through gv choosen, does handcent send through google voice or your verizon number?
Only the GV app sends/receives via Google Voice.

So people have to call the number that google provided? in order for you to get the txt msg and a call or what?
They can contact you either way but I suggest getting them all to switch to the GV number or else you don't get much of the benefits of GV.

Last edited:
OP

713King

Reaction score
thank you for the info! Should i add that number to my top 10 friends and family or just leave it at that?

OP

713King

Reaction score
Hey guys for any of you stuck with doing unlimited calling check out this link it helps out on how to mess with the settings so you can just add your GV number to your top friends and family and get unlimited calling :D