Google Voice and wifi

calicocal

Reaction score
Hello all, I just got my Droid last weekend and am loving it, but I had a quick question. I live in an area where I dont get cell coverage. I was wondering if google voice would allow me to send an receive text messages over wifi. I know that it isnt a VOIP, but I was just wondering about texts. Thanks

arty2hottie

Reaction score
i think it might. I have google voice and when I recieve a text it sends one to my phone and also my google voice account which through wifi you would be able to read the text and or voice mail. Its just like an email account with an inbox. I think that would work for you if you dont have cell coverage in that area.

romeov

Reaction score
Yes, it will work over wifi, I tested this for another user in a different forum using airplane mode and then turning only wifi back on. Google voice alerts (sms, voicemails) will still come to your Google Voice app, they will NOT come to your normal phone messaging app instantly if you have it set up that way, nor will calls work

OP
calicocal

calicocal

Reaction score
So if I understand you correctly if I set up google voice to forward sms's to the app people will not be able to call the google number and it only checks my sms messages every 5 minutes.

romeov

Reaction score
Yes, although people can indeed call your Google Voice number, it will just go to your voicemail as it would with any phone that is out of the cell service area. Also, you don't need to set anything up for the app to get your sms. As long as you have google voice installed from the market it will get them.

So while it may seem kind of not great, it's actually quite amazing, this all works with NO cell signal whatsoever from Verizon. No other phone or service can continue to notify you of text messages and voicemails when you have zero bars of cell coverage.