Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
Google to Acquire Motorola Mobility Enabling Android to “Break Ground"!

As Kurt Angle say's It is Real It's Dawn Real, you are reading it right. According to Official Google Blog, CEO Larry Page describes the company's success with Android, with 550,000 device activations per day and over 150 million activations worldwide. In their quest to "supercharge the Android ecosystem," they have decided that Motorola are the best handset manufacturer to help them do that.

Google or Motorola won’t give many details about, but you can tell that they are very pleased with this partnership. Rubin spoke with the top 5 manufacturers yesterday and made it very clear to all of them that nothing has changed. Motorola will operate as its own company and Android will remain open to use as it has been. The idea here is that it gives Google a chance to “supercharge” the OS.

Google to Acquire Motorola Mobility

Combination will Supercharge Android, Enhance Competition, and Offer Wonderful User Experiences​

MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. & LIBERTYVILLE, Ill. – Aug. 15, 2011 – Google Inc. (NASDAQ: GOOG) and Motorola Mobility Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: MMI) today announced that they have entered into a definitive agreement under which Google will acquire Motorola Mobility for $40.00 per share in cash, or a total of about $12.5 billion, a premium of 63% to the closing price of Motorola Mobility shares on Friday, August 12, 2011. The transaction was unanimously approved by the boards of directors of both companies.
The acquisition of Motorola Mobility, a dedicated Android partner, will enable Google to supercharge the Android ecosystem and will enhance competition in mobile computing. Motorola Mobility will remain a licensee of Android and Android will remain open. Google will run Motorola Mobility as a separate business.
Larry Page, CEO of Google, said, “Motorola Mobility’s total commitment to Android has created a natural fit for our two companies. Together, we will create amazing user experiences that supercharge the entire Android ecosystem for the benefit of consumers, partners and developers. I look forward to welcoming Motorolans to our family of Googlers.”
Sanjay Jha, CEO of Motorola Mobility, said, “This transaction offers significant value for Motorola Mobility’s stockholders and provides compelling new opportunities for our employees, customers, and partners around the world. We have shared a productive partnership with Google to advance the Android platform, and now through this combination we will be able to do even more to innovate and deliver outstanding mobility solutions across our mobile devices and home businesses.”
Andy Rubin, Senior Vice President of Mobile at Google, said, “We expect that this combination will enable us to break new ground for the Android ecosystem. However, our vision for Android is unchanged and Google remains firmly committed to Android as an open platform and a vibrant open source community. We will continue to work with all of our valued Android partners to develop and distribute innovative Android-powered devices.”
The transaction is subject to customary closing conditions, including the receipt of regulatory approvals in the US, the European Union and other jurisdictions, and the approval of Motorola Mobility’s stockholders. The transaction is expected to close by the end of 2011 or early 2012
Webcast Information
Google and Motorola Mobility will hold a conference call with financial analysts to discuss this announcement today at 8:30am ET. The toll-free dial-in number for the call is 877-616-4476 (conference ID: 92149124). The call will also be webcast live athttp://investor.shareholder.com/media/eventdetail.cfm?eventid=101369&CompanyID=ABEA-3VZHGF&e=1&mediaKey=A21887C59EBAAC12F1BCF4D43C080953. The webcast version of the conference call will be available through the same link following the conference call.
About Motorola Mobility
Motorola Mobility, Inc. (NYSE:MMI) fuses innovative technology with human insights to create experiences that simplify, connect and enrich people’s lives. Our portfolio includes converged mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets; wireless accessories; end-to-end video and data delivery; and management solutions, including set-tops and data-access devices. For more information, visit motorola.com/mobility.

Source

Last edited:

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
I for one think this should and will be a great partnership. I really look forward to what the future holds for these two now.

To be or not to be........................wait what was the question? This signature has been Tapatalk approved.

lieblax

Reaction score
This is awesome. Motorola to me makes the best phones, and this means things will only get better. For America!

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
I do wonder if this will change the bootloader stance and also MotoBlur. My initial thought is blur isn't going anywhere though.

To be or not to be........................wait what was the question? This signature has been Tapatalk approved.

markwebb

Reaction score
Great news---not only for Google's acquisition of MOTO's patent portfolio...but quality control is now more focused on both software and a handset. Just hope they continue MOTO's excellent build quality.

bplewis24

Reaction score
Man this is awesome news. They buy out the best smartphone hardware manufacturer and hopefully this leads to a better user experience for us.

Brandon

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I think this is awesome. In the end you have the best hardware with the chance to have the best OS without all the extra stuff added. Now we will see a Moto Nexus for sure, maybe not the next one but after that it's gotta be a Moto Nexus. Hopefully this means Vanilla ICS headed to the D3 in an update :icon_ banana:

bplewis24

Reaction score
"This acquisition will not change our commitment to run Android as an open platform. Motorola will remain a licensee of Android and Android will remain open. We will run Motorola as a separate business. Many hardware partners have contributed to Android's success and we look forward to continuing to work with all of them to deliver outstanding user experiences.
"

Most important part of the press release...

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Not to be a hater, but Kirk Angle? And this is kinda cool, now if google just needs to buy sammy and htc and we can have a ball. :)

OP
Preach2k

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
Not to be a hater, but Kirk Angle? And this is kinda cool, now if google just needs to buy sammy and htc and we can have a ball. :)

What should I used? Can you Smell what the Rock is Cookin!!! Or You can See Me!!! Or Go Old School "Every bodies Got A Price!!!":rofl3: Sorry I love Wrestling!!!

droid_mike

Reaction score
Wow!

That's all I can say is... wow! Huge! The FTC will probably have a cow, though...

Motorola should be ripe with patents. Notice that Apple and MS haven't gone after Motorola. HTC can't be too happy, though. They've got nowhere to go now. MS is locked in with Nokia and Google with Motorola.

Still, I'm happy. All these recent patent disputes have been hurting Android significantly. That should soon come to an end. I suspect that Google acquired a few patents that will hurt Oracle/Sun as well.

jodyberry

Reaction score
From the press release:
"... but there is no single phone or Android manufacturer that can best the iPhone."

Why is it that Google is still trying to "beat" the iPhone? With all the phones that have Android now, I doubt there will ever be a single hardware/software configured phone that will be more popular than the iPhone.

Any thoughts?