Google Maps - Download maps to SD card to avoid load times

newyorkgreg

Reaction score
Is there any way to download the maps that you use the most to your SD card? This way I wont have to wait for the maps to load, and Google Maps can just concentrate on finding my location.

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
Since the Google Maps app is just a WebUI of the Google Maps site, I doubt it. You would probably have to create your own app for that. and if I remember correctly, Google Maps directions are live streamed, not repeated, saved results.

DrScrubs

Reaction score
I understand the interest in having maps being downloaded to the SD card. This would make Google Maps be usable offline. And as far as I know it is not possible.

However, your Android phone is not a person. It doesn't need to have maps stored to the SD card so it can "concentrate" on finding your location. It multi-tasks very well and can do both easily. If it takes too long for your map to load it may just be your connection, but that won't interfere with finding your GPS location.

OP
newyorkgreg

newyorkgreg

Reaction score
Is there any application that integrates with Google Maps for offline navigation?

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you want offline maps then find a GPS nav app that has that feature. Google Maps Nav isn't the only option out there.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Try Waze, Im not sure... I forget actually, but is another navigation tool. I wish you could store on sd card also..

mcsinfl

Reaction score
I use GPS status from the market to check gps signals. the company lists a couple other products, 1. RMaps: a small on/off line map program. Integrates into the Map menu 2. AndNav2: On/Off line navigation system. Integrates into the Map menu.

Never used either, but you may want to check them out to see if they will work for you

htbyron

Reaction score
Maverick allows both navigation with google maps data while online and saving maps from other sources for offline use, but I don't think you can save google maps data (I could be wrong, but I haven't seen any indication of it).

Ken_photo

Reaction score
I'm looking for an app that's a little different that will allow me to record a track and save it (as a file- .gpx?) and then use it with navigation in the future. Anything exist. Don't care if I can only use streaming.