Google Maps Consistently Freezes CM 7.0.3.

buellboy9

Reaction score
Current Google Maps runs just fine under stock, rooted Froyo (FRG83G), and I've got a lot less available memory on that. Problem seems to be CM7 related.

OP
AlphaMack

AlphaMack

Reaction score
It's definitely memory related. I can also confirm that there are no issues with Maps using my better half's LG Ally running stock Froyo.

While on the issue with memory, I found that disabling JIT vastly improved things with CM7, although your mileage will certainly vary. I also moved from the Supercharger Aggressive 2 settings to Balanced 3 before settling on Aggressive 1. Unfortunately, I can still cause the latest Maps to freeze up my D1 even with those adjustments...just not as often as before.

From a lot of reading here and there, JIT does not seem to play too well with the D1.

Last edited:

buellboy9

Reaction score
From a lot of reading here and there, JIT does not seem to play too well with the D1.

First I've read this myself, but I'll keep that in mind if/when I go back to CM7. I just got tired of all the random lockups, reboots, and FCs. Every GB based ROM I've tried on the D1 has been the same story, though CM7 has been better than most.

rsimpson

Reaction score
I'm running Liquid GB 2.1 and am running into this same Google Maps lockup issue as described in the OP.

Man, I tell you what. It seems like every new release of GB ROM fix one thing and break another. I'm just not sure anymore that GB and OG Droid are worth it.

OP
AlphaMack

AlphaMack

Reaction score
Just a heads up that the issue seems to be resolved in CM 7.1. I'm running the RC1 build and Maps seems to be OK.

matt2783

Reaction score
Just a heads up that the issue seems to be resolved in CM 7.1. I'm running the RC1 build and Maps seems to be OK.

Not for me. It may not be as frequent but maps will occasionally lock up and I'll have to do a battery pull.

The only GB rom that had absolutely no map problems is GPA15. I use maps a lot so these issues are a deal breaker for me so that's been my go to rom for a while.

darkwraith

Reaction score
I am still having this problem with the latest version of maps. Still not able to reproduce it on demand, but I hope someone can help fix it soon.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

OP
AlphaMack

AlphaMack

Reaction score
Spoke too soon...the latest version of Maps is freezing up my D1 again. CM 7.1 RC1.

rck76

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Might be a kernel issue, I was having problems with a 1200 mhz kernel and then switched to 1100 mhz kernel. All is good now. Running chevy's 1100 mhz mv kernel btw.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

OP
AlphaMack

AlphaMack

Reaction score
OK, I think I have seemed to have "solved" the Maps FC/lockup issue on my phone. Hopefully others can chime in with their experiences.

I'm currently on winner00's #132 build with the deprimed kernel. Zepplinrox provided a 3G and kernel tweak script in his SuperCharger thread over on XDA. Using these scripts or a combination of them plus my setup (18% compcache, JIT off, dithering off, purging assets enabled), the lockups have gone away. I still get an occasional FC when I scroll the map fairly quickly.

The tradeoff to these scripts, however, is battery drain and when I was using ChevyNo1's 1 GHz LV kernel I was experiencing a lot of it. I have switched to deprimed since and while there is still quite a bit of battery drain there isn't as much.

I have really tried to crash CM7 with these tweaks by using Maps as before and I just can't seem to do it. So there it is, FWIW.