Google Grabbing Up Patents to Lock-in Project Glass/Google Glasses

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
bits-projectglass-tmag.jpg

It would appear that Google is playing it smart by being proactive with future patents on their Project Glass/Google Goggles. Google just garnered four patents related to the "pseudo-cyber-wear shades" from the USPTO. Here's a quote from PhoneArena with some additional details,

The Mountain View based tech giant now can claim the rights to the design of the right side of the device which is where the camera drops down over the eye. It is also where the the important electronics are housed. Also patented is the nose-pad sensor that uses technology to know when it is in contact with a nose. Another patent protects the display on the screen showing range and the direction of ambient sounds. Lastly, Google now has a patent on using each eye piece as a separate display. The illustration of the patent shows a map in one eye piece with navigation in the other.

The four patents are dated May 22nd and the nose bridge sensor has been given patent number 8,184,067. Patent D660,341 is for a wearable display device section. The patent for the ambient sound display is 8,183,997 and lastly, the patent for the separate eye displays is 8,184,068. While there are other moving parts to Google Glass, lining up these patents now is a major step in the right direction and could make it easier for Google to lock up further atents related to this device in the future.

google-glassespatents.jpg

It's nice to see a tech company planning for the inevitable future when patent trolls will come knocking on their door...

Source: PhoneArena

eagle923

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but they are nuts. You'll never see that girl wearing those.

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
:icon_ laughup: Agreed!

When I was a kid and would see some specs like these in a sci-fi movie I would have thought "that's COOL!" but in this day and age for some reason it seems more goofy. Maybe it's just because it takes so long for the science to catch up with the fiction. It is nice to see that Google is willing to take risks and have their feelers out to see which direction the future is heading. No matter where the future takes us, chances are Google will be there with innovative, cutting-edge technology.

Last edited:

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Agreed! When I was a kid and would see some specs like these in a sci-fi movie I would have thought "that's COOL!" but in this day and age for some reason it seems more goofy.

It needs to look like actual glasses, and not bulky eyewear.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Something like this could be useful for foremen seeing where items need to be placed on construction sites and that kind of thing, or for mechanics working on projects, though I believe BMW already has patents on a similar system specifically for that purpose. Considering precedents, I wouldn't be surprised if in the future there's some kind of partnership for these with a brand like Oakley that already has experience in integrating and marketing technology-inclusive eye wear.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
^^. Indeed. In fact, from the rumblings we hear, that is exactly what Google is planning, and may already be in negotiations with Oakley and others for just such a possibility.

meishkov

Reaction score
I'm sure the final product won't look like those that the chick is wearing. It is nice to see them going after actual useful technologies, seems they learned their lesson from the chunk of their corporate wallet that's missing to pay for their lawyers dealing with Oracle's lame ass. Always get the patent first!:icon_eek:

52brandon

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but they are nuts. You'll never see that girl wearing those.
bet? Maybe not her specifically, but a hot chick would. You must have forgotten the stupid **** people wear as it is. Remember Kanye's stupid glasses. All sorts of girls wore that crap too

eagle923

Reaction score
bet? Maybe not her specifically, but a hot chick would. You must have forgotten the stupid **** people wear as it is. Remember Kanye's stupid glasses. All sorts of girls wore that crap too

No, I didn't even know who Kanye was until I looked him up. I'm past those days of caring I guess :)