Google Goggles

Stigy

Reaction score
Today, at their Search Event in Mountain View, Google demoed a brand new product set to launch in Google Labs: Google Goggles. Humorous name aside, the product looks to be a huge leap forward in the field of visual search — by which I mean, you point a camera at something and Google figures out what it is.

The example that Google VP of Engineering Vic Gundotra showed on stage involved taking a picture of a particular bottle of wine. When he ran it through Google Goggles, the result showed that the particular bottle has a hint of apricots. You also be able to use Goggles to look up things such as CD covers and bar codes (this is likely similar to the popular Android app ShopSavvy). For text, Google Goggles uses optical character recognition (OCR) to try and read things like labels to aid the search.

Find it in the Android Market now!

silverx10

Reaction score
lol, I'm sold. Just took a picture of a video game with EA's logo and a bottle of ketchup.

It got both.

And for added measure, I took a picture of a bottle of Bailey's Irish Creme.

Google, I <3 u.

And Stigy, way to bring this to our attention!

We approve.

Silver Member
Reaction score
ok, this is pretty impressive. downloading now.

Silver Member
Reaction score
well so far i've had zero luck. tried a nature valley granola bar with both the packaging and the upc and no match. tried my mouse and no match. gonna try a few others.

i'm disappointed about the upc code tho. barcode scanner has been dead-on.

also, i wish there were a way to turn off/down the shutter sound. it's terrible.

metalmenance

Reaction score
Just downloaded it and WOW it is very cool!!! scanned my smokes and instant found!
then coffee, then dr pepper, then remote!!!! LOL scanning everything now! lol
its very cool app...... thanks Google!!! they are getting to be the King!!!

metalmenance

Reaction score
well so far i've had zero luck. tried a nature valley granola bar with both the packaging and the upc and no match. tried my mouse and no match. gonna try a few others.

also, i wish there were a way to turn off/down the shutter sound. it's terrible.

quick tip..... make sure camera lens is clean from smudges as with taking any pics
the Droid camera works pretty damn good if clean just like any camera
wife would always ***** when pics on reg camera were blurry looking and when i look at lense its got fingerprints all over it!!! WTF woman!!! common sense............

Anomander

Reaction score
Interesting app. Will be fun to use. I just tried taking a picture of a flower and it did not give a result, but similar results were pretty close. Just plugged in the phone to see if I could find the picture on it, but no such luck. Round about way I sent it to my email address then saved it onto my PC. Though I think after I forward it, it then saved it to the *J:\DCIM\Camera location (*whatever your Drive is called).

Silver Member
Reaction score

quick tip..... make sure camera lens is clean from smudges as with taking any pics
the Droid camera works pretty damn good if clean just like any camera
wife would always ***** when pics on reg camera were blurry looking and when i look at lense its got fingerprints all over it!!! WTF woman!!! common sense............
lens cleaned. it's like it didn't even try. the similar results weren't close. lol.

will try other objects later.

jaxjaggywires

Reaction score
This is a hot app right here...just gotta get the image database a little more robust to get more recognition happening, but this is some nice tech.

Boris Badenov

Reaction score
This is a hot app right here...just gotta get the image database a little more robust to get more recognition happening, but this is some nice tech.

I’m thinking the same.

So far in my quasi-scientific test it has failed to recognize water bottle, paper cup, computer mouse and stapler.
But when I snap a cover of the magazine – it actually found a blog post related to it.

Seems like it can read… :icon_eek:

DurangoJim

Reaction score
This is sick! I took a pic of my watch (Panerai Luminor Marina automatic) and up popped a bunch of websites about it. I'm showing my business partnerss all this now and everyone is very impressed.

Trever1t

Reaction score
I tried it on things in my office, bottle of water, computer mouse with poor results but yeah, I expect it to learn more as it's used (network wise)