Google and Credit Card info

snowman

Reaction score
I just feel that it is not safe to me to give Google my Credit Card info for purchasing Apps. on Market place I think it's a shame they don't let us use Pay-Pal which is totally safe, or another form of paying, maybe just deposit money into an account for purchasing programs.
I'd love to have apps but not going to fork over card number!

I've addressed this to Google any one else feel this way?

iPirate

Reaction score
You could buy a prepaid credit card and use that with google checkout

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't have a problem using a credit card, since I have one specifically for online use. (low limit)
...however, I do agree that PayPal should be an option. It's so widely used elsewhere on the internet.... but then again, Google gets to control Google Checkout..... PayPal would require a 'cut'. Don't think we'll see it.

OP
snowman

snowman

Reaction score
yeah but as with EVERY transaction with a credit card anywhere the Card charges 4-7%, I actually don't think pay-pal charges that much.
This charge is to the seller not the buyer.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't have a problem giving my credit card info because when I first attempted to buy an app Google already had it. Somehow.

I do however see the OP's point, paypal would be a nice alternative.

backlash

Reaction score
PayPal and Google Checkout are competitors, unless Google buys PayPal, it's not gonna happen. PayPal isn't "totally" safe, they just make it seem that way and give you a nice warm/fuzzy feeling. I've worked with PayPals development team, they are freaking idiots.

heatmisr

Reaction score
I don't think PayPal is the best, but there should be other options. I hate the fact that I can only use Google Checkout to buy apps. I avoided getting a Google Checkout account in the past because I think that it is BS that they are running my credit for a credit card transaction.

dylanthecat

Reaction score
I agree that I don't think Paypal will become an option for the reasons stated above.

I have never seen a 4-7% charge for accepting a credit card though. More like 1.2 - 2.5% depending on a number of things. This is paid to the credit card company by whoever accepts the credit card. In this case it would be Google. I would guess Google has negotiated an even lower rate per transaction. For all I know Google provides the merchant account service themselves. Why would they want to have a third party involved that they would have to pay a fee to?

TheOldFart

Reaction score
I trust Google checkout more than I trust PayPal, but that is just my personal opinion. I don't have a PayPal account. I have bought things on the web from many vendors and only had a problem once. I had fraudulent charges right after I bought from an online merchant that I had never used before. That was about 2 years ago and I did not have to pay those charges. I wanted to use them again last week, but was afraid to give them my card info again. Then I noticed that they took Google checkout and that solved that problem. They do not use PayPal.

OP
snowman

snowman

Reaction score
if you use the electronic key on pay-pal it's safer then any thing else
but you have to use the key
if I could deposit some monies in my google account say 20.00-30.00 at a time and use it till it runs down that would be great, but as I said I'll never be able to buy apps because of their process, this hurts them also
Google knows to much and could be sold one day, I don't want them to know any thing more then they have to

dylanthecat

Reaction score
The paypal key is a great feature. I have one after someone broke into my paypal account a couple months ago. Paypal caught the transaction 30 seconds after it happened and then notified me and suggested the key.

Silver Member
Reaction score
google checkout is just like any other online vendor. if you don't like or don't think that you can trust the site, use a one-time use CC or a virtual number. one of the benefits of using a CC is being able to dispute charges.

i have seen alot of people get burned with dealing with paypal and it is by no means a better system than google retaining your CC info.

do you let Amazon retain your CC info?

JamesX

Reaction score
Not sure what the concern is, Credit Cards now days have 100% fraud protection. I have never had any problems purchasing with my credit card.

American Express also has a built in 1 year warranty extension on eligible purchases purchases - Free.

jchallender

Reaction score
I have had my paypal account hacked on more than one occasion. I will go research this KEY you spoke of now. But I do agree with OP that other options would be nice. However I am lazy enough I just use what they have available :)

TxDoc

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
XT1635-01
I contacted PayPal last week and this is the reply:

Thank you for contacting PayPal, my name is xxxxx and I am happy to
assist you today.

The PayPal Plug-in is actually only available at this time to current
subscribers and not available to download. We are making changes that
have allowed for only current users to have the ability to download the
program.

Get great deals on your favorite brands at the all-new PayPal Shopping