Going to root: Best method, apps & uses without losing data?

OP
pudah

pudah

Reaction score
First things first. Obtain root. Obtaining Root | Root Your Droid This will not change or remove any of your settings.

Second, set up ADB. Android Debug Bridge | Root Your Droid You need this to do much of the stuff you want to do.

Next, set up Sprecovery. Custom Recovery Image | Root Your Droid You need this so that if anything you do hurts your phone, you can restore it. Again, this will not remove or change settings

Then you need to backup with Sprecovery. Full System Backup Using Nandroid | Root Your Droid You can restore this is ever need be. Again, this will not change/remove settings

Ok, now we can get to the fun stuff.
Wifi Tether/Overclock http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...ss-tether-patcher-one-click-solution-2-x.html This will not remove setting/layout. Also, this tells you how to root and install sprecovery and such, but it has old files for that. Use the links I provided. Skip down to step number 4.

Busybox Install Busybox | Root Your Droid This allows you to do many other things, including add themes.

Custom Roms http://www.droidforums.net/forum/android-roms/18871-droid-rom-links.html This WILL remove all of your settings and layouts!

Hope this helps. Have fun!

OK I just did everything up through the backup. I want to keep a copy of the backup on my PC. What is the location of the backup on the SD card and what is it's name or names?

OP
pudah

pudah

Reaction score
Wifi tethering has been a complete bust. I dont want to install a custom rom to do it, and I thought it was possible to do without that.

First I tried the steps here: Wifi Tether | Root Your Droid

It worked well and I was able to run the program, but I couldnt enable wifi on the droid. Other people had the same issue and I read their notes. Apparently newer versions of the files used were necessary, and a link was provided. I recovered to a backup and wanted to retry, but that link is dead.

Then I tried the process by Matth3w here http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ha...-phone-2-1-rom-o-c-mm-boot-animation-etc.html

Basically it says to download an APK and install it. Done, but when I try to install it I am told that I don't have the proper files.

What can I do?

OP
pudah

pudah

Reaction score
The kernel you are using has to support wifi now I believe.

How can I change that without messing everything else up?

Where I stand now is that wifi tethering is installed, but wont work because of no netfilter. I can't uninstall it unless I recover a backup again, which I'd prefer not to do so I don't have to install busybox again. I can't uninstall it because it's not listed in the manage applications list. I can't use the other method I listed above, but I don't know where to find those files as that site is down. I also tried the one click install, but that didn't work at all. It wouldnt communicate with the phone.

M

Matth3w

You just need to download a custom kernel and run the update.zip method.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Linux is highly modular, so the kernel can be changed without an effect on the rest of the system.

The kernel is simply the lowest level of software on the phone. It provides hardware access and control to the rest of the operating system and it's applications.

OP
pudah

pudah

Reaction score
I see... where would I go about finding this kernel and how do I update just it?

Actually, I think I am going to try DroidMod using their updater. Will this be enough for me to then install the wifitether as previously described and have it work? Will this give me control of the overclocking? Thats the other thing I really want to be able to do... faster processor speeds, and slower when not in use so I get both a performance boost and a battery savings.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I see... where would I go about finding this kernel and how do I update just it?

Actually, I think I am going to try DroidMod using their updater. Will this be enough for me to then install the wifitether as previously described and have it work? Will this give me control of the overclocking? Thats the other thing I really want to be able to do... faster processor speeds, and slower when not in use so I get both a performance boost and a battery savings.

There are a few kernels around, link to follow.

DroidMod will root for you and flash to their ROM, which is pretty close to stock. It does allow for overclocking and WiFi tether. Just make sure not to delete your /data folder when you're installing it, otherwise you'll be effectively doing a factory reset.

EDIT: Since you're just gonna do DroidMod, that's probably the easiest thing to do, easier than messing with kernels.

OP
pudah

pudah

Reaction score

There are a few kernels around, link to follow.

DroidMod will root for you and flash to their ROM, which is pretty close to stock. It does allow for overclocking and WiFi tether. Just make sure not to delete your /data folder when you're installing it, otherwise you'll be effectively doing a factory reset.

EDIT: Since you're just gonna do DroidMod, that's probably the easiest thing to do, easier than messing with kernels.

Yeah it worked, but am I right in saying that I need to buy SetCPU to have the overclocking control?

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Yes, you need to get setcpu.

In regards to the kernel not affecting other things, thats mostly true, except some drivers and kernel modules.

You pretty much must always replace the wifi driver when changing kernels.

OP
pudah

pudah

Reaction score
Ok, thanks for the help. My questions are now regarding SetCPU and DroidMod, so I'll take it over there.