Going back to stock.

shadesdragon

Reaction score
I rooted my droid x when froyo came out and it was great. Bloatware was frozen with tibackup. I unfroze the apps and I recently tried to do the new update and it downloads, reboots, triangle with ! droid comes out half way and eventually I get a message that the update failed. I went back and noticed that some of the applications were missing, found out that my room mate removed them... what they were I haven't a clue... so I decided the best thing to do was to go back to stock... and apparently I have no clue on how to do this. I tried the settings --> privacy --> factory data reset and I even tried the hard button hold power and home button method for resetting but the apps don't come back. What are my other options?

joeshell20

Reaction score
What you need to do is find out which apps your roomy removed.

Then download the apk files from
http://androidforums.com/droid-x-all-things-root/131207-full-list-apps-apks-removable-non-removable-root.html

Then you will need to open a terminal and install each apk you removed to the /system/app directory.

This happened to me as well so this is how I fixed it.
1.Copy all the apks that you need to install to the root of your sdcard.
2. Screenshot, and print the web page from above and highlight the names of the packages you need.
3. Open terminal
Su (hit enter)
#mount -o remount,rw -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk lp21 /system (hit enter)
chmod 777 /system/apps (hit enter)
cat /sdcard/filename.apk > /system/apps/filename.apk (hit enter)
4. After you have finished installing all the packages, type reboot and press enter.
Hope this helps. Obviously you do this at your own risk. Make sure you spell the package names exactly as they appear.
Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
S

shadesdragon

Reaction score
I appreciate your help. So I copy the files over by making /system/apps permissions 777, don't I have to set the original permission back before I reboot or undo something else?
I ended up missing 4 apps with 2 that were "re-installed by him" from the market place. amazonmp3_1.8.11_signed_zipaligned.apk, Blockbuster.apk, CityID.apk and redding-7648-signed-zipped.apk

What is redding-7648 ?

joeshell20

Reaction score
I appreciate your help. So I copy the files over by making /system/apps permissions 777, don't I have to set the original permission back before I reboot or undo something else?
I ended up missing 4 apps with 2 that were "re-installed by him" from the market place. amazonmp3_1.8.11_signed_zipaligned.apk, Blockbuster.apk, CityID.apk and redding-7648-signed-zipped.apk

What is redding-7648 ?

That is why you have to reboot. I am not an expert in any right. I was just trying to help. As far as what the redding-7648 is, you could just google it to find out what it is. And yes when you install apps from the market, they are not installed where the default apps are stored. So if you install cityid from market, then did a hard reset. It wouldn't be there. When you perform a hard reset, you are telling your phone to undo all the stuff I have done. So it wipes out all the apps you install, system settings, accounts and so on and so on. Using the method I gave you earlier would add the app to the system, and not the area that gets whipped out during a hard reset. Have you ever noticed that after you are rooted, when you attempt a hard reset, the superuser app is still there? The method I shared with you was pieced together from other post in the lg ally and droidx forums. So the information is available to anyone that can read and understand what they actually need to accomplish. Word of caution: If you ever run into a situation were you have done something that has bricked your phone, sbf files are supposedly there for you to unbrick. However, I attempted to flash the wrong file and I screwed myself. If you try to flash the sbf that is older than the version that was on your device, the flash will be successful, but your phone will still not boot.

OP
S

shadesdragon

Reaction score
The mount command seems to need a different format. it's not working for me.

joeshell20

Reaction score
Ok try putting rw,remount instead of remount,rw

OP
S

shadesdragon

Reaction score
Darn. Wish I had read that sooner. Well, here is what I did. I installed 3 free applications from the market place. BusyBox Installer, Super Manager and Terminal Emulator. I gave Super Manager root permissions in the settings section, I changed the permissions on /system/app and I copied the 4 missing .apk files over. Using Terminal Emulator I then went in and changed the owner and group to root and root like so:

chown root.root insert_application_name.apk

Now that everything is installed I want to make sure I don't end up in an endless reboot cycle if I ever have to turn off my phone because some file permissions were screwed up in the process.

Respectively, what should the

/system
/system/app
/system/app/*.apk

users be and permissions be set to?

maderschramm

Reaction score
man, this is way more complicated than just sbfing your phone. Follow my tutorial and use the right file, it'll take an hour if you do it right.

all you need to know:
30.04 bootloader - .320 full sbf
30.03 bootloader - 2.2 full sbf or .320 sbf

joeshell20

Reaction score
Not sure why you would want to change permisions and groups. I would't go messing with that.

joeshell20

Reaction score
man, this is way more complicated than just sbfing your phone. Follow my tutorial and use the right file, it'll take an hour if you do it right.

all you need to know:

And what if you already got vzw latest ota to .340? There is not an sbf for that yet. I spent two hours digging through the forums, and found out the hard way. I only had to sbf my phone because after this update, my phone became so slow I couldn't use it. Then guess what, brick a roo. Big red only sent me a replacement because I convinced them I had signal issues.

OP
S

shadesdragon

Reaction score
Although complicated. For my own sanity of complications. :) I'd still like to know what the permissions should be set to. I also don't think that using the sbf method would work for my phone since the usb seems to disconnect at random probably due to a certain someone (I hate roommies) disconnecting the usb cable improperly so I don't want to risk it.

joeshell20

Reaction score
Although complicated. For my own sanity of complications. :) I'd still like to know what the permissions should be set to. I also don't think that using the sbf method would work for my phone since the usb seems to disconnect at random probably due to a certain someone (I hate roommies) disconnecting the usb cable improperly so I don't want to risk it.

I really would not mess with ownership and groups, you are asking for it. The only reason that you chmod the system/apps folder is to write to it. After you reboot, the permission to /system/apps is reset to read only. Groups and file permissions are two separate parts that go together. But you are left to your own devices. If you brick your phone screwing with the file system. Big red will tell you do a hard reset.....oops that don't fix it. Sorry you will have to send it in, also sorry, you will have to pay for the cost of repair. I am just a guy that likes to fix his own problems, usually ones that I have caused. I have learned that you shouldn't remove bloatware, because if Verizon sends out an ota, the update will probably fail. When you get your phone back to stock, just use adw launcher to hide the apps you don't use. Just some friendly advise.

OP
S

shadesdragon

Reaction score
It's pretty simple really. I just want to know if the below permissions match the permissions you have. In case there was something I did wrong.

drwxr-xr-x root root 2010-12-26 23:59 system

drwxr-xr-x root root 2010-12-26 23:40 app

-rw-r--r-- root root 552247 2010-08-20 14:01 CityID.apk

joeshell20

Reaction score
It's pretty simple really. I just want to know if the below permissions match the permissions you have. In case there was something I did wrong.

drwxr-xr-x root root 2010-12-26 23:59 system

drwxr-xr-x root root 2010-12-26 23:40 app

-rw-r--r-- root root 552247 2010-08-20 14:01 CityID.apk

That is something that I can honestly say that I know nothing about. I don't even know how you see permissions in terminal.

maderschramm

Reaction score
if you're on the newest update, use the .320 sbf then you can ota to .340 or flash the .340 system only sbf after the .320
also, as long as you create a nand backup, you can nuke your bloatware, just restore to your clean backup before ota. that's how I roll

all you need to know:

And what if you already got vzw latest ota to .340? There is not an sbf for that yet. I spent two hours digging through the forums, and found out the hard way. I only had to sbf my phone because after this update, my phone became so slow I couldn't use it. Then guess what, brick a roo. Big red only sent me a replacement because I convinced them I had signal issues.