Gmail problem with headers on Droid

Modeverything

Reaction score
Hi, I know this is probably more of a Gmail issue, than Droid issue, but it's giving me a lot of trouble and I've already posted on Gmail forums. If I could find some help with this, I would be very grateful.

When people send me emails, the email headers are showing the emails from "First Last", or "me", or just "First", but sometimes it actually does give a name. There is no way on the Droid that I have found for me to find out who sent me the email.

If I use my computer, go to Gmail, open the message and mouse over the First Last name, then I get the information I would like to have, such as the email address, the person's name, and even a picture of them (though I'm not sure where the picture is coming from). However I still have to mouse over the First Last part to get the information; it doesn't show by default. I assume this is why it shows up this way on the Droid, because it's a Gmail setting, but I really need to fix this. I can't use Gmail on the Droid if I can't find out who I'm talking to.

I've included a screenshot of a message from Gmail showing this.

SwordOfWar

Reaction score
This seems to be a limitation of the gmail app as far as i can tell. You could just get one of those apps from the market that simply puts a shortcut to the gmail website (basically you use the phones browser like u would on a pc).

That will probably get you most of the features you are missing out of the gmail app.

The problem is using the website will not update your notification bar on the phone. You could check your email on the browser, but the notification from gmail app would probably take a few minutes to go away on its own.

OP
M

Modeverything

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply.

If I were to use the Gmail app, and I went to my Gmail from the browser, I would still have emails show as First Last though. On my PC, I can mouse over the First Last to see who sent me the message, but on the Droid, I have no way of mousing over the header.

SwordOfWar

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply.

If I were to use the Gmail app, and I went to my Gmail from the browser, I would still have emails show as First Last though. On my PC, I can mouse over the First Last to see who sent me the message, but on the Droid, I have no way of mousing over the header.

Actually if you open an email from gmail.com on the phone's browser there is an option to view such information. After you open an email there is a link under the header on the right that says something like "show information" which will show you the address it is from and such.