GMail issue

izzysmom

Reaction score
Not sure I should have posted this here or in Tech...
I am a long time Gmail user - and used it on my LG EnV Touch with no issues thru Verizon -- however, while I love the interface on the LG Ally -- it's making me a little nuts.

I am used to the entire email "conversation" of replies being included in the email below the most current reply -- and the subject line being strictly "RE: what ever the original subject was" regardless of how many times the message had been passed back & forth

Now with each reply the message is GROSSLY TRUNCATED. and the subject line looks like "Re: Re: Re: Re: RE: what ever the original subject was" I often refer to the previous email when typing a reply...now I cant see it unless I save as draft and go back to the previous email.

Is this an Android thing? Do I have some setting set wrong & dont realize it? I've poked around but havent found an answer.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I am a long time Gmail user - and used it on my LG EnV Touch with no issues thru Verizon -- however, while I love the interface on the LG Ally -- it's making me a little nuts.

I am used to the entire email "conversation" of replies being included in the email below the most current reply -- and the subject line being strictly "RE: what ever the original subject was" regardless of how many times the message had been passed back & forth

Now with each reply the message is GROSSLY TRUNCATED. and the subject line looks like "Re: Re: Re: Re: RE: what ever the original subject was" I often refer to the previous email when typing a reply...now I cant see it unless I save as draft and go back to the previous email.

Is this an Android thing? Do I have some setting set wrong & dont realize it? I've poked around but havent found an answer.

I don't know if it's an Android or a Gmail thing, but here's what I do about it.

I go to gmail on line, trash. I delete the previous emails that were made on that subject out of the trash. Then everything comes out right.

Don't want to do that? OK, then instead of using your gmail icon go on line to www.gmail.com and you'll get the full email.

This is also a problem for people who use forums. The links to respond are cut off and you have to use the first email.

I try keeping my email cleaned up as much as I can for that reason.

OP
I

izzysmom

Reaction score
www.gmail.com[/URL] and you'll get the full email.

This is also a problem for people who use forums. The links to respond are cut off and you have to use the first email.

I'm not sure I follow this because you used "on line" in more than one place...are you talking about trashing from your PC, from the Droid Gmail program or from the Droid Browser....can you try explaining it again step by step - I might be interested in trying it on emails that I know I NEED to have the full conversation in. (Unless of course someone else has an easier solution....)

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.gmail.com[/URL] and you'll get the full email.

I'm not sure I follow this because you used "on line" in more than one place...are you talking about trashing from your PC, from the Droid Gmail program or from the Droid Browser....can you try explaining it again step by step - I might be interested in trying it on emails that I know I NEED to have the full conversation in. (Unless of course someone else has an easier solution....)

I don't think we are on the same page. Maybe I misunderstood what you were looking for.

1. www.gmail.com
2. select trash
3. delete group or single email you have had come in previously
4. Next email you receive on the same subject will not be truncated. But the conversations from the previous mail will be gone.

If you want to view the entire conversation then do this.

1. www.gmail.com
2. select latest gmail
3. you will see entire conversations.

You can also do this by setting up gmail on the stock email client, but that will cause double notifications, and that will drive you crazy.

I hope that explains what I'm thinking and helps you out.

OP
I

izzysmom

Reaction score
ok - got what you were thinking now...I was not on the same wave length...not sure this is the way I want to go either...sigh...

ukyfan

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

I don't know if it's an Android or a Gmail thing, but here's what I do about it.

I go to gmail on line, trash. I delete the previous emails that were made on that subject out of the trash. Then everything comes out right.

Don't want to do that? OK, then instead of using your gmail icon go on line to www.gmail.com and you'll get the full email.

Is there a way to keep Gmail from doing this? I too have noticed this and, was wondering how (if it is even possible) to keep it from doing it in the first place? I have looked around a bit, but haven't found anything.

OP
I

izzysmom

Reaction score
I havent found a solution yet...but if you do...PLEASE post a link to it here or PM me...cuz it's making me nuts!