Gmail App Issue

Calpurnius

Reaction score
Forgive me if this should have been in the app forum, but it feels like troubleshooting more to me.

Factory Droid 4 user who hasn't had any problems until tonight when Gmail app stopped working properly.

Synch appears to be okay. I can push email to the app from outside sources and from gmail itself. I can make changes through a pc browser and through the phone browser and everything shows up as changed. Gmail works properly in phone browser.

The menu button in the gmail app does not work, nor does the account and folder links at the top.

Pressing a message has no effect. Starring may briefly work once.

While running, the screen occasionally flashes to black then back to the inbox.

All other apps, including Google apps like G+, YouTube, etc. appear to be working correctly. Sharing to Gmail causes a force close, however.

Have powered down.

Have cleared cache and app data.

Suggestions?

Ryououki

Reaction score
You aren't alone. A few people have posted up with same issue. It is happening across multiple reported devices. It appears to have started happening yesterday.

Weird thing is, I have 2 gmail accounts on my phone. The secondary account has no issues in the gmail app, but the moment I open the inbox of the primary account it starts freaking out. Already performed clear data, clear cache, and reboot. This is on a rooted Sprint GSII running Calkulin E4GT ROM. So it looks like Google messed something up.

On my Motorola Xoom, I am having no issues. My wife also is having no issues on her stock non-rooted Sprint GSII.

Is your account set for 2 step authentication?

That's the only difference between my primary and secondary account. My primary gmail account is setup with the 2 step authentication, and my second account does not use that. And my wife doesn't use the 2 step either and she not having issues.

rvcjew

Reaction score
This is happening to me as well, my newest account does not get it but my main with 1987 emails does this. Its so frustrating lol.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

ErcDaMerc

Reaction score
Just started on my rezound. The app is totally useless right now and I have several accounts in different folders...very strange!

Sent from my stock HTC Rezound.

rvcjew

Reaction score
Mine just fixed itself yay.

OP
C

Calpurnius

Reaction score
Mine just fixed itself yay.

Noticed when I activated mine this morning that there was a "what's new" screen, as if it had updated.

allendy

Reaction score
Having the same problem. I just got my phone yesterday. It worked fine last night but this morning I can't push any buttons or messages, or even access the menu. When I try to there is a lot of screen blinking. It is still receiving messages and notifying, just can't read them.

mikehayman

Reaction score
Mine is freaking out as well with my main account, but my secondary gmail account works just fine. I have a Droid BIONIC.

reybie

Reaction score
Some articles on the web suggest that Google is aware of the problem and it looks like this is something on their end.

rvcjew

Reaction score
Noticed when I activated mine this morning that there was a "what's new" screen, as if it had updated.

Iv always had the what's new screen since last year when flashing a new rom.

randybonnette

Reaction score
reybie said:
Some articles on the web suggest that Google is aware of the problem and it looks like this is something on their end. write my essay

Usually a simple reboot and cleaning the cache of the gmail app does the trick. I had issues with synchronization. I had a motorola G with a gmail app synchronized to my Macbook. But all of a sudden, my contacts wouldn't synchronize. So I cleared sync settings and completed a factory data reset.

Sorry for bumping.