Gingerbread OTA update/recovery problem

jmcquesten

Reaction score
Ok, here's my problem. I am trying to root my DX after installing the OTA update, 4.5.596. I wanted the official update so I sbf'd back to 2.3.34 yesterday from rooted, and after many failed attempts, finally got Gingerbread to install. Before I continue, I do realize that I could have used the 2 part zip file to go right to rooted GB, but could not get that to work for me. I also found out z4 doesn't work. So, i tried the 'patch' method, and ran into a new problem. After somehow accidentally deleting the entire contents of my SD card, i realized that i couldn't get to recovery mode. I've tried bootstrap for DX, and that won't work until it's rooted. I tried another SD recovery app, same thing, gotta be rooted with superuser permissions. So, my question is; how can i get into recovery mode if I need to be rooted with superuser permissions first? (I have tried booting into recovery with power/search buttons with no luck either) Without recovery mode, how can i install the patch from my SD card that roots gingerbread? It's like i need one before the other, either way. I'd rather not sbf again if i don't HAVE to. Someone please help.

leonozug

Reaction score
So, you SBF'd back to stock and got the OTA from Verizon? If so, your not able to get root that way with any method right now. If you want to install the patch method, you HAVE to SBF back to 2.2.1 and do a factory reset, root with Z4Root and install the Droid TWO bootstrap recovery. Then download the two-part zips and install them, and then you will have rooted Gingerbread. It's the only way, the OTA cannot be rooted by any .apk right now.

Last edited:

deathwhitch

Reaction score
if you simply want to get into the stock recovery, its been changed for gingerbread. Took me forever to figure it out so I know how frustrating it is. You still hold power and home key only when you get to the droid triangle screen press both volume keys instead of search. Why they changed this is beyond me

deathwhitch

Reaction score
Ohh and they also changed the camera button in the recovery menu, now to make a selection you press the power key.