Gingerbread likely to come to Droid 1

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Well, for the non-rooted people who feel they would be missing out, here's my early observations:

A little faster, perhaps. But without the compcache and Davlik heapsize tweaks, it's not nearly the same D1 refresher that 2.1 and 2.2 were. Still have lag and redraw - customizability of Android continues to be its own worst enemy, simultaneously showing the potential but also the limitations of a smartphone.

Now there is already a 2.4 in the works, but my understanding is that may be mostly support for dual-core.

brando56894

Reaction score
Everyone harps on Verizon for no wireless tether or no more updates. Motorola said the D1 isn't designed to support wireless tether, and Motorola is the one who builds the updates. Verizon just qualifies them. If Moto thinks a Gingerbread build is viable for the D1 we will get it.

Sent from somewhere...

That is soooooo weird. I know you know this and have heard it a thousand times but, I use wireless tether on the regular. Never ever a problem with it. Albeit, I don't use it as a primary source for internet connection. Just when I'm not near an available hot spot.

Ive found that its fine for one client but becomes unusable with more than one. I used to use it all the time in one of my classes where the room didnt have internet access and these two girls asked if they could use my connection too and as soon as they started using it it would bog down to a crawl and wouldnt work half the time.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Ive found that its fine for one client but becomes unusable with more than one. I used to use it all the time in one of my classes where the room didnt have internet access and these two girls asked if they could use my connection too and as soon as they started using it it would bog down to a crawl and wouldnt work half the time.

I've yet to find the right combo of lan/channel. Best I seem to be able to get is an average of about 300-400kbps. Split that with 1 or 2 other people and, yeah, it's unusable. Even at that speed, it's barely tolerable except in a pinch.