Getting movies on my Droid

Iowaberg

Reaction score
So I’ve tried numerous ways of converting and transferring an .m4v movie to .mp4 format and nothing seems to work. I can get as far as transferring it to the Droid, and even seeing the little film reel icon on the Droid, but when I go to play it, I get an error message that says something “Cant play this video” What’s the best and easiest way of getting movies into your Droid that have proved successful?

koralyne

Reaction score
I used handbrake to convert them. It requires a lot of time or a good computer though, but it works

EDIT: what did you use to convert them? what type were they before?

Cyrus6001

Reaction score
So I’ve tried numerous ways of converting and transferring an .m4v movie to .mp4 format and nothing seems to work. I can get as far as transferring it to the Droid, and even seeing the little film reel icon on the Droid, but when I go to play it, I get an error message that says something “Cant play this video” What’s the best and easiest way of getting movies into your Droid that have proved successful?

Check out this post http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr.../30844-android-video-conversion-xilisoft.html

OP
I

Iowaberg

Reaction score
I used handbrake to convert them. It requires a lot of time or a good computer though, but it works

Handbrake is exactly what I used.

Reaction score
you used handbrake to convert m4v to mp4? I haven't been successful at this. i assumed it was because they were iTunes videos and had DRM protection.

koralyne

Reaction score

Handbrake is exactly what I used.
thats really odd that you cont convert. The movies on my phone are all mp4, and they play perfectly fine... hmm..

broosewee

Reaction score
I've never had a problem with m4v files on the Moto Droid. The Droid Eris is another story though...

If you plan on putting DVD movies on the Droid, DVD Catalyst is a great tool and there's a free version with some basic features that'll get the job done. Handbrake works too, but there's a greater learning curve. Nothing you can't grasp after an hour or so of fiddling though.

koralyne

Reaction score
you used handbrake to convert m4v to mp4? I haven't been successful at this. i assumed it was because they were iTunes videos and had DRM protection.

Maybe since they are itunes and it has drm protection on them, thats why. I was converting avi. Maybe op should try finding an avi video, converting it, then trying to load on the droid and see if it works. Cuz it could be the security trying to prevent it

OP
I

Iowaberg

Reaction score

Maybe since they are itunes and it has drm protection on them, thats why. I was converting avi. Maybe op should try finding an avi video, converting it, then trying to load on the droid and see if it works. Cuz it could be the security trying to prevent it

I've been successful at converting to mp4 format and it plays fine in Windows Media Player, but won't play on the Droid. I'll try the other converters others have suggested too.

Reaction score
i have 2 mp4 videos that play just fine, i have a few .avi's that only play if i tell astro to open them as video..but they both still work perfectly.

victorhx7

Reaction score
Iowaberg thanks for the information. Its really great information which is really useful and helpful.