Fully integrated Calendar??

pilot25

Reaction score
Cnet dislikes the fact the new Droid doesn't have a fully integrated calendar.

What does this mean? Obviously, I'm not tech savvy.

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
i'm not sure, because it syncs your google calendar (which i'm fairly certain syncs with the apple or itunes one).. i love cnet, but they don't always get it right..

oh and welcome to the forums! this is a good place for questions like that. i'm sure someone will be around shortly with a proper answer

Last edited by a moderator:

chiianna

Reaction score
I would guess that cnet got it wrong in this case. For me, integrated calendar is what functionality already exists with Android, at least for Gmail. Back and Forth Syncing between the calendar on your phone and the calendar in your email system. Although with Google now supporting exchange, it makes it easier for other email systems to integrate.

Szyslak

Reaction score

It appears they are talking about the inability to sync multiple calenders (business and personal) into one calendar on the phone. The phone will sync with the online calenders, but won't merge them.

Cnet said:
Unfortunately (well, depending on your preference), it doesn't appear that you can combine work and personal calendars as you can on the Palm Pre. Instead, you'll find separate apps for your corporate calendar and your personal one. The corporate calendar is full featured in that you can send messages to meeting attendees, see who has RSVP'd to an event, and/or create your own invites and have it all synced back to your PC.

Cool forum btw. Hope to spend some time here.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification, I was also wondering about the posting they made. Welcome to the forums and glad to have you on board. I hope you enjoy your time here. :)

mjs31

Reaction score

It appears they are talking about the inability to sync multiple calenders (business and personal) into one calendar on the phone. The phone will sync with the online calenders, but won't merge them.

Cnet said:
Unfortunately (well, depending on your preference), it doesn't appear that you can combine work and personal calendars as you can on the Palm Pre. Instead, you'll find separate apps for your corporate calendar and your personal one. The corporate calendar is full featured in that you can send messages to meeting attendees, see who has RSVP'd to an event, and/or create your own invites and have it all synced back to your PC.

Cool forum btw. Hope to spend some time here.

Thanks and welcome. The calendar is one thing I am anxious to work with. Besides a TODO program I have on my Tour, the Calendar is another big item. I see there is a descent todo app for the phone, but have not seen much details on the calendar itself which is common.
Funny thing....I really can see the new apps showing up quickly with the Roid and 2.0

OfTheDamned

Reaction score
The calendar on Android is just like a mini version of google calendar. You can sync multiple calendars that have been set up or even shared in google and they will be on your phone in different colors. From what I have seen it is really nice.

If anyone wants to sync an Outlook calendar in with their google calendar they can use google calendar sync too.

mjs31

Reaction score
The calendar on Android is just like a mini version of google calendar. You can sync multiple calendars that have been set up or even shared in google and they will be on your phone in different colors. From what I have seen it is really nice.

If anyone wants to sync an Outlook calendar in with their google calendar they can use google calendar sync too.

Any idea on alerts for appointments? My brief stint with the Iphone had me dissapointed in their alert options. One area that BB's shine.

OfTheDamned

Reaction score

Any idea on alerts for appointments? My brief stint with the Iphone had me dissapointed in their alert options. One area that BB's shine.

I know there is an option to set reminders on Google calendars. Those reminders will also sync over to the phone and you have the option to set up multiple reminders for events on the phone.

dean.collins

Reaction score
hmmm really?

This si the one function "no one" seems to review in their video overviews and the function I'll be instore to test out before i sign up with verizon.

The function that i love with my winmo device (Cingular 8525) is it's tight integration into Exchange (I run my own exchnage server at home for tight integration into activesync).

I DO NOT WANT GOOGLE CALENDAR!!

This is such a basic function that if google have screwed this up i hope there are aftermarket apps for 'perfect' calendar functionality.

Can someone post some screen shots if you are running activesync???

Cheers,
Dean

Last edited:

rutger1413

Reaction score
I believe there is a separate "Corporate Calendar" that will do exchange sync.

OP
pilot25

pilot25

Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification. I have only one calendar so I don't care.

Reading the Cnet review it makes it sound like a real major problem for "everyone."

JFDroid

Reaction score
I would guess that cnet got it wrong in this case. For me, integrated calendar is what functionality already exists with Android, at least for Gmail. Back and Forth Syncing between the calendar on your phone and the calendar in your email system. Although with Google now supporting exchange, it makes it easier for other email systems to integrate.

So if I add an entry to my phone's calendar on the Droid, it adds the entry into my google calendar?

Currently with my blackberry's calendar, it doesn't do anything to keep me organized with my google calendar. I have to have two separate calendars... and ever since I heard about the Droid I assumed there would be two-way syncing for the calendar, which would be umpteen times better than how it works w/my blackberry right now.

I've just been having google calendar be my main calendar, and having it text me as a reminder for all my appointments... I actually erased my Blackberry calendar, it felt clunky compared to google calendar.

Please say 2-way calendar syncing is true!

Edit: To clarity, what I mean is that, if I add an entry into google calendar, it will sync it to my bb calendar if i use google sync and hit "sync now", but if I add an entry to my bb, there's no way (from my knowledge - or is there a way?) to sync it from my bb to my google calendar. And, I add 90% of my appointments on the go when I have my phone with me but not a desktop to be able to access google calendar and add entries... so it doesn't make sense for me to try to keep them synced since if I'm going to add an entry to google calendar, chances are I've already added it to my bb calendar, so why should I be doing 2x the work if Droid can help me halve the amount of work it takes to keep organized?

Last edited:
OP
pilot25

pilot25

Reaction score
It's a google phone so I wouldn't worry about syncing your droid calendar to a google calendar. Without even trying it I'm sure this is a seamless process. BB is more made for Outlook calendars. I have no problem with my BB and outlook. I'm hoping to dump outlook on Friday.

Last edited: