Full device encryption broke camera pics

baaldemon

Reaction score
So the title may be a bit hard to comprehend but the gist of it is that I turned on full device encryption and since then when I transfer the pics off the phone to a computer they cannot be viewed. The message I get is corrupted metadata, the sizes on them seem right, I have not tried to view the exif data through a utility yet to see what exactly is corrupted.

I can still see the pics on the device, and share them online, but when I copy them off of the device they are broken. I've tried a couple of jpg recovery tools without any luck.

Anyone else run into this issue? Most similar posts I've seen related to this is a corrupted sd cared (but this is on the internal one and only started after I turned encryption on). Any help would be appreciated

And to confuse things a bit more, if I email the pic off it works corretly. So the problem seems to be just directly pulling them off the device, or browsing them when they are on the phone but connected to a machine. Same thing happens in linux and windows with various software.

Last edited:
OP
B

baaldemon

Reaction score
Can someone move this to the Droid 3 part of the forum, apparently I was in the wrong place in tapatalk and posted here instead of there

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Sud0_Ph1sh

Reaction score
How to unencrypt files on Droid 3

I had this exact same problem with the storage encryption on my Droid 3. I fixed this by first turning off both "Device Data Encryption" and "Storage Encryption" (Settings > Location and Security > Data Encryption), then copying the folder with my pictures in it (Files > Internal Phone Storage > dcim > Camera) and pasting it into the "dcim" folder (Files > Internal Phone Storage > dcim), which created a new folder called "Copy of Camera" with all of my pictures (now decrypted) in it. The copying process took approximately 30-45 minutes due to the amount of pictures and videos that needed to be copied (over 800).

Note: You can copy files and folders by pressing and holding on the file/folder until a message box appears, then selecting "copy" from the list of options. To paste after copying, browse to the directory of your choice and press "Paste Here" (located at the bottom of your screen).

I hope this helps.
If anyone has a problem with this method or needs clarification on any of the steps please leave a post.
icon7.png