Frustrated

RayPaganJr

Reaction score
I have never been so frustrated with a phone/device before like I am at this moment. I have plugged in my USB that came with the Droid. I was on the phone with a tech for over two hours. He had me download Media Link. Put my pictures there, it took forever. Attempted to sync, but then a message pops up saying Detection Failed.

This phone for being so complicated came with no instructions, only the Getting Started guide.

He had me go through a number of settings on the phone. Nothing yet. Tech said he would have a Tech III call me, but that was a while ago and no call. I'm getting close to going back tomorrow and getting my money back, but I want this to work. Don't know what to do.

sethmo

Reaction score
I am not using my phone with exchange, but I imported my contacts from my old phone into Outlook, then exported as a CSV file and imported those to my Gmail. From there, I synced my Gmail contacts with the phone contacts and it worked fine.

As for copying files, just use it as a mass storage device. Slide the top slider down and click on the 'USB Connected' then 'Mount' and it will show up in 'My Computer' as a removable device. Then for the phone to access the card again, you have to go back to 'USB Connected' and Turn off the mass storage device.

You might have to download the Droid USB drivers from here:
USB and PC Charging Drivers - Motorola USA

steveo52

Reaction score
I have never been so frustrated with a phone/device before like I am at this moment. I have plugged in my USB that came with the Droid. I was on the phone with a tech for over two hours. He had me download Media Link. Put my pictures there, it took forever. Attempted to sync, but then a message pops up saying Detection Failed.

This phone for being so complicated came with no instructions, only the Getting Started guide.

He had me go through a number of settings on the phone. Nothing yet. Tech said he would have a Tech III call me, but that was a while ago and no call. I'm getting close to going back tomorrow and getting my money back, but I want this to work. Don't know what to do.

I have very mixed feelings about the Droid. I'm giving it the weekend. If I don't have better results than I'm getting it's going back to the Verizon store.

OP
RayPaganJr

RayPaganJr

Reaction score
I am not using my phone with exchange, but I imported my contacts from my old phone into Outlook, then exported as a CSV file and imported those to my Gmail. From there, I synced my Gmail contacts with the phone contacts and it worked fine.

As for copying files, just use it as a mass storage device. Slide the top slider down and click on the 'USB Connected' then 'Mount' and it will show up in 'My Computer' as a removable device. Then for the phone to access the card again, you have to go back to 'USB Connected' and Turn off the mass storage device.

I downloaded the USB and PC Charging Drivers and nothing. Oh, yes. If I can't get this done, of course it's going back. I can't believe how difficult this is. Could it be my particular phone? It should be plug into USB and you're off.

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

I downloaded the USB and PC Charging Drivers and nothing. Oh, yes. If I can't get this done, of course it's going back. I can't believe how difficult this is. Could it be my particular phone? It should be plug into USB and you're off.

Ray,

What OS are you on? Also here's a direct quote from faq
"Note: Your phone supports Microsoft® Windows® XP, Windows Vista®, and Apple® Macintosh®. Other operating systems may not be compatible.
Drag down the status bar. Tap USB connected to select the connection. Tap Mount to connect your memory card to your computer. You can't use the files on your memory card while it is connected. On your Windows PC, find "Removable Device" (your memory card) in the "My Computer" window. "

The reason i posted just that is i'm wondering if you "mounted" the USB card. Seems trivial but I just have to ask

OP
RayPaganJr

RayPaganJr

Reaction score
I'm running Vista. Hey, I think I should bring the phone and my laptop to VZW and see if they can help. If it doesn't work out, then have a nice day. I think I have an alternative to the Droid.

raydog153

Reaction score
I run linux Ubuntu, and all I had to do was to connect the USB to PC, and tell the Droid to mount the USB storage. All works with no drivers needed.

On Win Vista 64bit, I plugged it in, and it was charging just fine. Windows saw the phone's card but I couldn't access it, but the phone was charging. Downloaded only the MotoDrivers(MotoConnect) and installed, still didn't work, forgot to tell Droid to mount the USB storage....and bingo all works. SO I don't know if I really needed those drivers, but anyway, piece of cake!!!

OP
RayPaganJr

RayPaganJr

Reaction score
After reading a lot of this, I'm wondering what the average Jane and Joe will think of having to mess with all this nonsense. I'm up to date on a lot of tech toys, so it's not like I'm a blank, but I'm going through this **** and nothing is working for me. I can't imagine regular people who just want to plug and play will go through, unless it's my phone or SD card.

BzB

Reaction score
once the usb cord is plugged into the phone and the computer remember to swipe down the notifications screen, select the usb connected notification, now select the option to mount usb storage. that should do it for most people. i'm on vista and this works for me. shows up as a drive then i just drag and drop whatever files/media i need to.

if you're still not able to see the mounted drive most likely one of two things is happening: either your computer doesn't have the necessary drivers for usb disks or your computer has another disk mounted in the same letter as the one that is trying to mount. good luck getting it fixed.

raydog153

Reaction score
It's a piece of cake. When you plug you device in, does it start charging? Do you see a notification on the droid that it detects it is connected to the pc? Are you running 64 or 32 bit vista?

This is easier than my WinMobile device I had.

I removed the MotoDrivers from vista, and I can still connect without them (Or course this isn't a great test, who knows if some files got left behind from the uninstall). I say you have a bad card or Droid.

Install the Astro app (file manager) can you see files on the card? You can try to format the card in the settings. Is your card inserted correctly? When you plug the device in, it should imediately tell you that USB storage is connected, if not then either you card/phone/cord is bad. Hope this helps.

OP
RayPaganJr

RayPaganJr

Reaction score
Yeah, it's charging. I did all you wrote down. Still nothing. I've downloaded like five different crap for nothing. Gotta uninstall. I've had it for tonight...ef this.

Dan Rowe

Reaction score
after you download the motorola media link and plug in your phone you will need to the "blackberry" button - notifications - usb connected - then "mount." this solved my problem

unkut

Reaction score
I've NEVER seen SO MANY cry babies in one place!!! Everyones drooling and loosing sleep over the Droids release and now since things are frustrating and YOU can't figure things out its the Droids fault, hahaha.... and it going back.... LMFAO! How about everyone just give 3% of the Droids effort and you'll figure things out!!!!