froyo update right around corner

madooch

Reaction score
had to call verizon today for a battery problem on my droid talking to the guy from technical support he tells me that the problem will be corrected with the new froyo update from motorola which be out next week says he received info today about the release date!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
had to call verizon today for a battery problem on my droid talking to the guy from technical support he tells me that the problem will be corrected with the new froyo update from motorola which be out next week says he received info today about the release date!

Thanks, but I'm going to be honest with you. People at technical support have no idea when an update is going to be released, let alone tell you that the next update is going to fix your battery issue.

FWIW the last 2 updates claimed to offer better battery use. I've seen no difference.

I'm already running a leaked version of Froyo and while I don't know what your battery issue is exactly, it doesn't seem to extend battery life. If this isn't your issue then please feel free to respond on what the issue is. That's the number 1 issue with most people.

JeffK627

Reaction score
hookbill - from your experience with the leaked version of froyo, is there any truth to the rumors I'm hearing that it is so buggy you'd be better off staying with 2.1? Also, does it really have hands-free voice dialing from Bluetooth enabled?

greenchilypepper

Reaction score
hookbill - from your experience with the leaked version of froyo, is there any truth to the rumors I'm hearing that it is so buggy you'd be better off staying with 2.1? Also, does it really have hands-free voice dialing from Bluetooth enabled?

i have no idea about the hands free bluetooth, but the froyo im running is faster, runs apps better, and is more responsive. It is definitely better than 2.1 no questions asked

OP
M

madooch

Reaction score
issue is the status is showing not charged when it really is they say that that will be fixed with update.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Absolutely false. 2.2 is a huge improvement over 2.1. It's pretty stable, not completely bug free and yes, you can do hands free voice dialing with bluetooth enabled.

I think people that experiencing lagging or anything of that nature could fix it quickly with a factory data reset.

If you haven't tried i I do recommend it but I do want to let you know that if you proceed with 2.2 your phone will be rooted with the latest version.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
In a better way, take what you hear from TS with a grain of salt.

It's not real likely that they have any clue about the update, you would find more info here than by speaking to them, but I'll allow for that 1% chance.

Time will tell eh?

BT is a definate yes with froyo!

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com

I've been running the leak since it...well leaked. I haven't heard rumors of it being buggy and I definitely haven't experienced it being buggy.

By far it's been the best release out there....period. Better than stock 2.1 (of course) and better than every custom edited or built from source 2.1 rom as well. Froyo 2.2 is a major improvement and once the source is released the devs should be releasing some killer built from source roms.

Stable, added features, faster....overall a much better experience.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
issue is the status is showing not charged when it really is they say that that will be fixed with update.

That issue has been around for sometime now. It will show you at 5% when you are really fully charged.

I've only experienced it once, matter of fact most people have it happen once or twice and that's it. If you're experiencing this on a regular basis that is very unusual.

As to whether or not there is a fix in the 2.2 update I really couldn't tell you, but my rule of thumb is I don't believe anything a Verizon tech tells anyone when it comes to updates. Chances are we know more about what's going on then they do.

I hope it does resolve your issue if it's a chronic problem.

wylekyot

Reaction score
have been using froyo and setcpu for a week now and my battery last a whole lot longer. I am running the 1Ghz kernal and it screams! BT calling , flash support! Yea flash. Benchmark at least 1300, wifi tether rocks, I used it with my laptop on a drive from las vegas to colorado and speedtest.net on the laptop reported atleast 1.2 meg download almost the whole way. Also 2 other people in the vehicle were connected, my daugter was watching hulu on her netbook thru the connection!

Barkleyfan

Reaction score

Froyo can be a little buggy, especially the camera and gallery. WiFi can get buggy as well. But the rest of the rom is fast and stable. the 800 mhz kernel Bugless Beast comes with is faster than 1.2 ghz on 2.1 roms. Bluetooth voicedial works like a charm with my Moto S305 headset.The battery life is well above average under heavy use, and phenomenal on standby. I've noticed on standby, I tend to get one bar where I used to get 2. Once I connect to a website, or a call, I jump up to 3 or 4 bars where I used to get 3 for a few seconds if I was lucky. The new baseband seems to be much more efficient, just like the rom. And I watched game 7 of NBA finals on my Droid, while I let the kids enjoy the TV.

BostonDan

Reaction score

That issue has been around for sometime now. It will show you at 5% when you are really fully charged.

Yes I have glad the same problem twice. Glad to hear it wasn't just me.

I have found that some kernels will make the phone "appear" discharged when in fact the phone has a full charge. I am running (currently, subject to change) Blackdroid's Froyo eXtreme (RC2) and I have tried putting on faster Kernels (1.25 GHz by ChevyNo1), but any new kernel introduced causes my phone to go batty (i.e. constant reboots, FCs upon boot, staying in stock "M" boot loop). This is not meant to endorse BlackDroid's version of Froyo, but rather just to state facts I have seen with this Froyo Kernel.

FWIW, I have also tried other flavors of Froyo (Pun intended) and found Froyo to work well. The voice Dialing via BT is not the best (and is actually one of the worst, but it's a step in the right direction). I have tried "calling mom" only to have the phone say "Calling John LastName" or other such snafus.

Cheers,
B.D.