Froyo Killed Droid Incredible's Camcorder

HokieGeek

Reaction score
It seems to be that the answer to this issue would be to visit your Verizon Store or call customer service. If the update broke your cam corder, then Verizon should fix it, after all it is their update.
Doesn't Froyo come std with the incredible, or is Verizon updating them after they get them?

Has there been anything new about this? Wife and I got some new Incredibles a week ago and they won't record video. The app doesn't crash or anything. I open the camera and switch to video or I just click the camcorder shortcut, click the joystick and it focuses, goes green and clicks - just like the camera does - but the counter stays at 0 and nothing at all happens. Any way I can reinstall the stock app?

I would recommend that you call Verizon. Yours is a warranty issue. However, I would do a factory hard reset first. This is from a tutorial I read:

Please note that all data will be deleted from the HTC DROID Incredible as a result of this procedure. This process does NOT delete data stored on the microSD card. We recommend backing up all of your personal data before proceeding.

1. Turn the power off. If your HTC DROID Incredible is frozen, pull the battery out and reinsert it
  2. Hold the Volume Down button
  3. Hold the Power button until the display turns on
  4. You are now presented with a menu that allows for Fastbook, Recovery, Clear Storage, and Simlock
  5. Select Clear Storage by pressing the Volume Down button
  6. Press and release the Power button to select
  7. Now simply confirm your decision: Volume Up for YES and Volume Down for NO
If you selected YES, all data including third-party applications will be deleted from the HTC DROID Incredible. Once the wipe is complete, the phone will reboot to its factory fresh state.

I was hoping to avoid something like that just because one app isn't working, but the only video recording app I can find that works is Qik. The rest use the stock app so I'm SOL. So what's the best way to backup my phone to SD so that it restores quickly and completely?

So I went ahead and did a factory reset which brought it back to the same state I bought the phone in. It's still froyo and the camcorder is still broken. Since I was blowing everything way, though, I took this opportunity and rooted the phone so that I can properly back everything up and not have to redo all of my screens if I end in a similar situation.

So, any root-only solutions you guys can think of? Or, alternatively, any other video recorders other than qik you can suggest? Qik works, but I don't really want to stream everything I record, and I can't find any video recording apps that aren't just wrappers over the stock app.

SubMatrix

Reaction score
I think you still need to redo your screens after a factory reset even if you do a full backup?

HokieGeek

Reaction score
I think you still need to redo your screens after a factory reset even if you do a full backup?
Interesting. I would have assumed that Titanium would have backed up the config files used by the Sense home screen...

fotc

Reaction score
i'm having similar issues, but i have a rooted phone with 2.1, and i've tried several roms with 2.2 not one of them works with the camcorder. in every single instance, including cyanogenmod 6.1.1, Ruby 1.1.1, Virtuous 2.7, etc. etc., any attempt to use the video recording option of the camera results in the app, and the phone, crashing. is anyone running 2.2 with a working video camera? is there some fix for this? right now, i'm just continuing to use 2.1, because the camera was one of the main reasons i got the phone.
im running froyo on skyraider 2.5.2 with sense and the camera and camcorder work fine. are you sure you are running either the 2.05.xx or 2.15.xx radio? if you are still on the 1.xx radio that is why the camera is not working

HokieGeek

Reaction score
i'm having similar issues, but i have a rooted phone with 2.1, and i've tried several roms with 2.2 not one of them works with the camcorder. in every single instance, including cyanogenmod 6.1.1, Ruby 1.1.1, Virtuous 2.7, etc. etc., any attempt to use the video recording option of the camera results in the app, and the phone, crashing. is anyone running 2.2 with a working video camera? is there some fix for this? right now, i'm just continuing to use 2.1, because the camera was one of the main reasons i got the phone.
im running froyo on skyraider 2.5.2 with sense and the camera and camcorder work fine. are you sure you are running either the 2.05.xx or 2.15.xx radio? if you are still on the 1.xx radio that is why the camera is not working

My baseband version is 2.15.00.07.28

Maybe I need 2.15.00.07.29? :)

Last edited:

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
To me it honestly sounds like a corrupt OTA install. Your radio is fine. Anything above 2.x will work. I hate to say it, but you would probably be best heading to a local Verizon and have them reflash it there.

HokieGeek

Reaction score
To me it honestly sounds like a corrupt OTA install. Your radio is fine. Anything above 2.x will work. I hate to say it, but you would probably be best heading to a local Verizon and have them reflash it there.
I was afraid that might be the answer. I'll first try different roms or see if I can find the camcorder source and rebuild it. that'll be more fun than having to unroot my phone and give it to them for a reflash. Thanks!

Last edited: