FROYO, 3G Hotspot and PDANet?

GimpyPilot

Reaction score
New to the DINC (had mine for a little over a week and got the FROYO update last night) - I am not in a position to try this yet but do any of the Guru's out there know if the 3G Hotspot that was added with FROYO can be used in conjunction with PDANet for a wireless tether? DINC on Verizon.

Thanks in advance for any info. :motdroidvert:

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
3G hotspot costs 20$/month so idk if you want to do that

they make a wireless tether (free) for root users. id check that out..

OP
G

GimpyPilot

Reaction score
Thanks Abe, didn't realize it would automatically run for an increase in the bill, but it makes sense from a business standpoint.

I will check out the Bluetooth DUN tether that is part of PDANet (not sure my 2 yr old lappy will see it) but am not really looking to root the phone - I did that with my Crackberry Storm but really want to keep this phone supported (with the exception of PDANet of course...).

Thanks again!

Humpa

Reaction score
Thanks Abe, didn't realize it would automatically run for an increase in the bill, but it makes sense from a business standpoint.

I will check out the Bluetooth DUN tether that is part of PDANet (not sure my 2 yr old lappy will see it) but am not really looking to root the phone - I did that with my Crackberry Storm but really want to keep this phone supported (with the exception of PDANet of course...).

Thanks again!
It won't automatically bill you. You need to turn it on. You will get a VZW page if you don't have the 3G Hotspot turned on.
PDANet can't use wifi - you need root to be able to do that.
But at least we have usb/bluetooth alternatives that are free. And if we want to root, then we have wifi solutions. Or, heaven forbid, we want to pay for it, we could do that too. ;)

EDIT: usb is probably the best way to tether anyway. Data uses battery like crazy, so you gotta be plugged into something anyway. Might as well be the laptop. Plus, Bluetooth is slow.

OP
G

GimpyPilot

Reaction score

Thanks again!
It won't automatically bill you. You need to turn it on. You will get a VZW page if you don't have the 3G Hotspot turned on.
PDANet can't use wifi - you need root to be able to do that.
But at least we have usb/bluetooth alternatives that are free. And if we want to root, then we have wifi solutions. Or, heaven forbid, we want to pay for it, we could do that too. ;)

EDIT: usb is probably the best way to tether anyway. Data uses battery like crazy, so you gotta be plugged into something anyway. Might as well be the laptop. Plus, Bluetooth is slow.
Thanks Humpa. I was thinking about it more after I posted the last message and battery life is my biggest and really only complaint about the DINC - it is a serious piece of hardware. The USB tether is not a big deal 99% of the time and it does of course charge at the same time.

I went ahead and got the Verizon 2150 mAH battery over my lunch break today since 4 hours to 30% is unacceptable - but I will probably continue with the USB tether and PDANet - it works very well.

Thanks again!

Humpa

Reaction score
Thanks Humpa. I was thinking about it more after I posted the last message and battery life is my biggest and really only complaint about the DINC - it is a serious piece of hardware. The USB tether is not a big deal 99% of the time and it does of course charge at the same time.

I went ahead and got the Verizon 2150 mAH battery over my lunch break today since 4 hours to 30% is unacceptable - but I will probably continue with the USB tether and PDANet - it works very well.

Thanks again!
Though I would just root and use wifi tether. That way I can plug the phone into the wall and I can place the phone near a window, away from anything that might interfere with reception, and in an upright position. I try and max out my signal for best possible bandwidth. :D

RyanPm40

Reaction score
Not a huge deal to me since I have wifi at home, and will only use PDAnet for vacations which don't have wifi (which seems to be rare nowadays :D)