Froyo 2.2: After Install, No Phone nor Contacts Applications!

BeedleDroid

Reaction score
I Updated my Droid (1) phone to Froyo 2.2 OTA on Sunday, Aug 15, 2010 and now, I have No Phone Application and No Contacts Application!

When I press the phone icon, a message appears that says:
"Application is not installed on your phone."

I get the same message if I try the "contacts" icon.

My phone will still answer an incoming call; and I CAN make a call using the "Voice Dialer," other than that, it just doesn't work.

Has anyone else experienced this anomaly? I went to a Verizon store today, but they just referred me to a bigger store where they have a "Techy." I will go there today after work to see if I can get this fixed, or rolled back to the prior version (2.1).

I have "googled" this problem, but I have not found anyone else who has experienced this. I guess I'm just lucky...

P.S. I tried to reinstall the (2.2) "update.zip" file, but apparently, it first checks to see if you are at release (2.1) before it will let you proceed, and since I am now at (2.2), it promptly aborts.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I Updated my Droid (1) phone to Froyo 2.2 OTA on Sunday, Aug 15, 2010 and now, I have No Phone Application and No Contacts Application!

When I press the phone icon, a message appears that says:
"Application is not installed on your phone."

I get the same message if I try the "contacts" icon.

My phone will still answer an incoming call; and I CAN make a call using the "Voice Dialer," other than that, it just doesn't work.

Has anyone else experienced this anomaly? I went to a Verizon store today, but they just referred me to a bigger store where they have a "Techy." I will go there today after work to see if I can get this fixed, or rolled back to the prior version (2.1).

I have "googled" this problem, but I have not found anyone else who has experienced this. I guess I'm just lucky...

P.S. I tried to reinstall the (2.2) "update.zip" file, but apparently, it first checks to see if you are at release (2.1) before it will let you proceed, and since I am now at (2.2), it promptly aborts.

Did you sign into your phone? There should have been a little Droid there telling you to sign into google. If you didn't then go to your Settings/Account and Sync and try signing into Google there. That should return your contacts.

As far as your phone goes, dial *228 and select option 1. That will activate your phone. If you are still missing your downloads go to the Market/menu button/downloads. They should be in there.

It really sounds like somehow, you didn't sign into your phone but I could be wrong.

Good luck.

OP
B

BeedleDroid

Reaction score
I'm getting a new phone

Hello Hookbill:

Thanks for offering a suggestion. My contact list is safe and sound on Google -- just can't access it or download it to my phone. As far as the *228 suggestion, my phone is activated, I can receive calls and I can call out using voice dial only.

Took the phone to Verizon and they tried to reset the phone, but to no avail. Their solution was to send me a new phone. They were out of stock of the original Droid and will send a replacement by mail in 2 to 3 days. They said some of the original phones just have various problems when trying to update to the froyo 2.2 operating system. So it looks like I won't be able to try the "go back to 2.1, then re-install 2.2 option."

Anybody out there having other problems after installing 2.2 on an original Droid (1)?

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hello Hookbill:

Thanks for offering a suggestion. My contact list is safe and sound on Google -- just can't access it or download it to my phone. As far as the *228 suggestion, my phone is activated, I can receive calls and I can call out using voice dial only.

Took the phone to Verizon and they tried to reset the phone, but to no avail. Their solution was to send me a new phone. They were out of stock of the original Droid and will send a replacement by mail in 2 to 3 days. They said some of the original phones just have various problems when trying to update to the froyo 2.2 operating system. So it looks like I won't be able to try the "go back to 2.1, then re-install 2.2 option."

Anybody out there having other problems after installing 2.2 on an original Droid (1)?

You might try going to the "Circus" thread, grabbing the 79mb Froyo file and installing it using instructions there.

I am having the same problem but i just have the 2.2 not the froyo.

2.2 is Froyo.