From Omnia to DROID!!!!!

THier

Reaction score
Hello everyone,, just upgraded to a Droid from an Omnia. I like the Omnia, ran the underground firmware upgrade to allow GPS and other things,, but it just didn't turn out to be the phone for me,, I thought I would like the Windows platform,, but not so.

ANYWAY,

What are some apps that are "must have", what games run well? I saw a neat app called "keychain" which lets you scan the bar code from all the discount cards, gym memberships ect, how well does it work?

Thanks,
Tom

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,, just upgraded to a Droid from an Omnia. I like the Omnia, ran the underground firmware upgrade to allow GPS and other things,, but it just didn't turn out to be the phone for me,, I thought I would like the Windows platform,, but not so.

ANYWAY,

What are some apps that are "must have", what games run well? I saw a neat app called "keychain" which lets you scan the bar code from all the discount cards, gym memberships ect, how well does it work?

Thanks,
Tom

:welcome: to the Droid Forums. I recommend you download Screebl, Astro, and Ringdroid, all I feel are must have apps.

I've never heard of that bar code scanner. I use one calle, well, bar code scanner but it doesn't do what you're suggesting. A quick search in the market and I don't see anything named keychain.

Just so we don't get off on the wrong foot discussion of something like that would not be allowed. We don't allow any type of discussions involving stealing which in all essence what you're suggesting.

If we can help you in other ways however we are happy to do so. Thanks for joining the Droid Forums.

OP
T

THier

Reaction score

ANYWAY,

Thanks,
Tom

:welcome: to the Droid Forums. I recommend you download Screebl, Astro, and Ringdroid, all I feel are must have apps.

I've never heard of that bar code scanner. I use one calle, well, bar code scanner but it doesn't do what you're suggesting. A quick search in the market and I don't see anything named keychain.

Just so we don't get off on the wrong foot discussion of something like that would not be allowed. We don't allow any type of discussions involving stealing which in all essence what you're suggesting.

If we can help you in other ways however we are happy to do so. Thanks for joining the Droid Forums.

Hey Hook,,,

Not sure what you meant about stealing?

I found the app I was talking about,, it's called "Keyring"

Key Ring – Lose those membership cards

You scan your discount cards, membership cards ect into the app,, then at the register, instead of giving everyone within ear shot your phone number because you don't have the card on you,, you bring up the app,, and they scan it, and you get your discount,, membership,, what ever.

I hope to have the Droid Monday or Tuesday, (I have a tracking # but it is too new in the system to track) so I will test this app. If it works,, it will make life easier.

Tom

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

ANYWAY,

Thanks,
Tom

Hey Hook,,,

Not sure what you meant about stealing?

I found the app I was talking about,, it's called "Keyring"

Key Ring – Lose those membership cards

You scan your discount cards, membership cards ect into the app,, then at the register, instead of giving everyone within ear shot your phone number because you don't have the card on you,, you bring up the app,, and they scan it, and you get your discount,, membership,, what ever.

I hope to have the Droid Monday or Tuesday, (I have a tracking # but it is too new in the system to track) so I will test this app. If it works,, it will make life easier.

Tom

Ok Tom I apologize, I thought you meant using other peoples gym memberships and such. Sorry, my error not trying to say you're a bad person was just trying to make sure we were on the same page.

I will take a look at keyring. I looked for keychain and couldn't find anything. Sorry about the misunderstanding.

Edit....I don't know how long this app has been around but it seems to have a very low rating. Read the comments before you download it. :)

OP
T

THier

Reaction score
Hook,

No problem,, I now see where you were going,, wow,, never thought of it that way,,, thanks for the idea :rofl3: KIDDING!!! All my cards bring up my ugly mug anyway,, (gym and pool membership)

Don't worry,, no offense taken,, new guy and all I know you all need to CYA.

I am pretty jazzed about getting the new phone, I got TWO Droids for basically $25, (buy one for $149 get one free, I got an addition $25 discount for some reason, and got a $50 gift card from BJs wholesale for each phone) So wifey got one and me the other.dancedroid

Tom

OP
T

THier

Reaction score
Ok,

This might not be the correct area for this, but when an app has a price,, is that just billed to my cell account?

AND,

I guess I just point the Droid at the weird little "bar code" square box?

Thanks,
Tom

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok,

This might not be the correct area for this, but when an app has a price,, is that just billed to my cell account?

AND,

I guess I just point the Droid at the weird little "bar code" square box?

Thanks,
Tom

You will use a charge card for it. If you every used Google to pay for anything then they already have a credit card in there for you (much to my surprise). Google Checkout is similar to PayPal.

Someone in here said you can use PayPal now but I don't think that's true. If I'm wrong someone correct me. I was only given Google as an option to pay with.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
key ring is an excellent app. I use it. Bar Code Scanner is another app. It saved me 40 bucks on a monitor once. Scanned the barcode in one store and it let me know it was cheaper in a store 10 minutes down the road.

And yes, scan a QR Code, the square 3d barcodes, with your phone and jump right to that app in the market.

Key Ring lets you use the bar code scanner to scan all those supermarket, toys r us, drug store, pet store, etc cards. display the code on your phone and the clerk scan guns it and you are good to go. I felt weird the first few times but the clerks say lots of people do the same thing now.

Let us know some of your hobbies Tom, and folks will chime in with apps. Scuba diving apps, star gazing (walked out at the designated time, glanced up, and watched the space station glide by) hiking, note taking (Colornote is cool) . Urbanspoon is a fun little app too for finding good places to eat. And don't forget the metal detector app!

OP
T

THier

Reaction score
Hobbies you say?,, well,,
High power rocketry,
RC planes and Helis,
Ham radio,
Grudge racing a PT cruiser,, before you laugh,, how about 12.1 @ 115mph,, Full car, AC, stereo, power windows, everything, street driven every day.

Any ideas for my strange hobbies? Ham radio,, maybe,, but the others?

Tom

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
High power rocketry,
RC planes and Helis,
Ham radio,
Grudge racing a PT cruiser,, before you laugh,, how about 12.1 @ 115mph,, Full car, AC, stereo, power windows, everything, street driven every day.

Tom

AR.Drone.com – Parrot Wi-Fi quadricopter. Augmented Reality games on iPhone, iPod touch & iPad might be of interest to the RC helo pilot inside of you.

There is at least one guy here I know that does ham radio here, afk for the weekend doing some event. there is a flashlight app that uses the phone's camera LEDs that lets you program in morse code. I bet that is worth getting to show your fellow Ham radio operators!

The Rocket Project app: not sure if they bailed on the project or are getting underway, the app is a bit flaky.

Not sure about an app for your PT Cruiser though. 2 out of 4 ain't bad though, right?

OP
T

THier

Reaction score
High power rocketry,
RC planes and Helis,
Ham radio,

Tom

There is at least one guy here I know that does ham radio here, afk for the weekend doing some event. there is a flashlight app that uses the phone's camera LEDs that lets you program in morse code. I bet that is worth getting to show your fellow Ham radio operators!

ARRL field day this weekend, I'll bet that is what him tied up.

Tom

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score

ANYWAY,

Thanks,
Tom

That's a nice upgrade! Congrats and welcome to the forums! ANYTHING you could ever want to know about your phone can be found right here!!