From my personal blog "iphone vs Droid ... NOT!"

rsarno

Reaction score
I wrote this for my personal blog, thought id share.

It is my opinion that people are scared to call a Spade a Spade! Anytime you hear the question "Which is better, iPhone or Droid?" you always get some pretty good answers, but then its followed with the usual "This is just my opinion, you may feel differently"

Oh yea?? Exactly why would ANYONE feel differently? Aside from specs, lets just look at pure capabilities!

List the things that the iPhone CAN do, that the droid CANNOT ... go ahead .... im waiting .... is that pen working? ... mmhmm thought so.
List the things that the Droid CAN do, that the iPhone CANNOT ...
I dont like this keyboard, can i get a new one? BAM .. DONE!

Id like to setup a home screen for work, and a sepearate one for home BAM .. DONE!

I hate the way SMS/MMS look, wish i could change the format! BAM .. DONE!

Eww, the notifications go in that top bar? Id like to change that! BAM .. DONE!

Wish i had turn-by-turn voice GPS without paying for it! BAM .. DONE!

I wish i could benchmark my phone speed against others! BAM .. DONE!

Id like to download some XXX Apps! BAM ... DONE! (no pun)

Id like to see some animation on my home screen! BAM .. DONE!

I wish i could fill a few screens with Widgets so i don't have to open the app every time. BAM .. DONE!

I wish my browser supported some form of Flash! BAM .. DONE!

I wish i could buy an extended battery, or keep spare batteries! BAM .. DONE!

FROM A DEVELOPERS STANDPOINT:

Id like to submit apps, but not have them cross-checked it see if they compete with any of the phone manufacturers core features! BAM .. DONE!

Id like to submit my app to the market and not wait 5-10 days for them to possibly reject it! BAM .. DONE!
You get the idea ....

I currently own both the iPhone and the Moto Droid (dInc will be mine once the friggin thing is in stock!).

My honest opinion is that the iPhone is amazing at a few things (media player being one of them), and has definitely been the primary factor in raising the bar for user experience. But i think their days are numbered! It is my opinion the only thing keeping the iPhone up on its pedestal is the consumers attraction to apps, since they obviously have way more. But the Droid is catching up fast, and with no limitations or hurdles for developers, it will soon blow past Apple.

Thats my quick review, feel free to debate, or give feedback.

Shameless Plug! LauncherPro! Dont think about whether you need it or not, dont consider the options it might have, dont worry if it may not work right .. just go download it right now, pause reading this and go download it! It will completely change the experience on the phone for the better. It opens up options that you never knew you wish you had!

Okay now that your back, and you downloaded it .. post a "thanks" to me below :)
*Note, i dont work for them, or know anyone who has ... i just really love the app

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I have to agree with alot of your post. As a former iphone user, I will admit that there are so apps I miss and the ipod set up was great. Heck I even sort of like the the itunes store a little better. But as far as the device the iphone is a solid smart phone that does what it is meant to do. It is meant to be simple and do things well. You do not need a class on the iphone. The droid id the opposite. No you do not need a class for the basic functionality of the droid, but to tweak the device it does require some learning.
I like the things the droid can do and the fact that every month I can add a different rom or feature if I choose. The iphone has the app store that is it. But some people do not care about playing with their phones as far as hacking. So the iphone is perfect, its simple, a nice computer, and some time work as a phone.
There are people who love the device, and some who if it came to verizon would switch in a heartbeat because that is what they like.
They are both good devices, I just prefer the droid/ android os.

OP
R

rsarno

Reaction score
I have to agree with alot of your post. As a former iphone user, I will admit that there are so apps I miss and the ipod set up was great. Heck I even sort of like the the itunes store a little better. But as far as the device the iphone is a solid smart phone that does what it is meant to do. It is meant to be simple and do things well. You do not need a class on the iphone. The droid id the opposite. No you do not need a class for the basic functionality of the droid, but to tweak the device it does require some learning.
I like the things the droid can do and the fact that every month I can add a different rom or feature if I choose. The iphone has the app store that is it. But some people do not care about playing with their phones as far as hacking. So the iphone is perfect, its simple, a nice computer, and some time work as a phone.
There are people who love the device, and some who if it came to verizon would switch in a heartbeat because that is what they like.

Yes agreed! Obviously the iPhone is meant to be extremely simple. And it does that flawlessly. I'm not knocking anyone for liking the iPhone ... but don't dare stand in front of my and tell me the iPhone is a better device! If anything, admit the Droid is a better device, but you have no need for such an amazing device :) haha

EDIT, BTW i didnt mention anything about hacks, and functionality possible with hacks. Im basing my opinion on stock devices.

C5O

Reaction score
Great write-up! I liked all of your statements they were all very true. One question. What is Shameless Plug? it is not on the Market.

OP
R

rsarno

Reaction score
Great write-up! I liked all of your statements they were all very true. One question. What is Shameless Plug? it is not on the Market.

well i meant the app, launcher pro

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
U know whats amazing about the Droid or Android....I got the Droid specifically for free turn-by-turn GPS...

Android is so amazing I totally forgot thats why I wanted it in the first place...and I have used a few times in the last few months...

yes the homescreens...at first I didnt think I would need more than 2. Now....I have apps and widgets on just about all 7 homescreens, organized somewhat by type.

Flash and the battery points.....lol I will even be nice and call it even about Flash if debating an iPhone user with claims it slows down browsing and heats up the phone...but the battery thing....that is too funny....

I have the battery charger that charges 2 batteries at the same time: one in the phone and one in the charger. A thing of beauty for trying ROMs and having no juice to install it. Just pop in the spare battery thats always charged up....

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sigh...

Better is always subjective. When it comes to smartphones better only means "better suited". One size will never fit all.

The Droid can have infinitely better capabilities but that doesn't mean that it's better suited for everyone. That's why opinions, perspectives and differing needs/wants matter. It's only the fanboys that blindly argue that one option is always better than the other for everyone out there. It's a tired approach no matter how you try to reason things out or present specs as evidence of superiority.

There are always two sides to these matters: what the device is capable of and what the user needs/wants. Fanboys always overlook the latter. Meaningful discussions, on the other hand, always consider both.

My honest opinion
It seems hypocritical to me to lambast others from tagging their comparisons with something indicating that it's just their opinion when you start your own rant with "My honest opinion".

OP
R

rsarno

Reaction score
No its not subjective .. in my opinion (hehe i added that as a zing lol)

Some millionaires drive Toyota Corollas. Is it because they are cheap? Sure maybe. But there are some that just buy that car because they dont NEED such an amazing vehicle. The Toyota goes from pointA to pointB ... thats all they need, and they are happy with that. But you wont hear any one of them say their Toyota is "better" than a Mercedes. They just dont need it. But the point of my rant/post is that at least they admit the other car is "Better"!

In comparison, some people dont need to change home screens, or have fast browsing, or a replaceable battery, or navi, or whatever else ... so they go with the simpler version, the iPhone. But then rave that the iPhone is the better device??

Fault

Reaction score
Strongest argument people have for what iPhones can do that androids cant is they can use iphone apps. There are some cool apps that are not available for android, such as Plants vs Zombies. BTW if someone makes a port of that, I'll love you forever

dylanthecat

Reaction score
List the things that the iPhone CAN do, that the droid CANNOT ... go ahead .... im waiting .... is that pen working? ... mmhmm thought so.

Edit video
Ibird app
Beejive app
Buzztime mobile playmaker app

techRob

Reaction score
editing video on the phone, sounds potentially cool / useful. But how efficient would that be? Not to mention the frustration of trying to get it do what you want.

..and what the heck are these:
Ibird app
Beejive app
Buzztime mobile playmaker app

??​

rgn2000

Reaction score

This is well written and is the reason why the Iphone will not die and also because of marketing. Let's face it, there is a mainstream audience and then there are the hardcores (most people on these boards). Hardcores want to do everything possible on their phones. Mainstreamers want it to work and be able to do some cool things. Hardcores get blown away by a widget on the screen that gives them weather constantly, mainstreamers get blown away by a magic 8ball app. The Droid was built for hardcores, but can cater to mainstreamers as their continued rise in marketshare has shown, but bottomline is those mainstreamers really will never know that their Droid (or other Android phone) is better then any Iphone.

A co-worker of my wife's whom I never met asked her about getting a new phone and I advised her to tell her to wait till July/August for the Droid X and Droid 2. What did she do? go buy a Droid Eris. I am talking last week. When I found that out, I was screaming and I don't even know the person. But again, this person is a mainstream person and will never do a lot of the things we do with our phones. Besides calling people, looking up facebook and some simple apps a lot of people just don't do much more.

I hate Apple, but I give them credit for going out to the mainstreamers. The sold 600,000 in pre orders for the Iphone 4. Let's face it, Iphone is going nowhere. Just like Bose radio is going nowhere. These are brands that are marketed well and marketed to mainstream people that want something good, but do not want to put the time or energy into really knowing if it is the best or finding its limitations.

The best thing we can hope for is the Iphone to stay away from Verizon till at least 2012 and hopefully Android by then will have a strong enough following.

countryboy498

Reaction score
Great post. I know 3 people who have the Iphone right now and after playing with my Droid they all want my phone instead. One of them actually cancelled their pre-order for the Iphone 4G. A funny story, last night we were at our sons baseball game as weather was moving in, I was using an app called "Rainy Days" and getting radar updates constantly, he couldn't even get signol. And no, we were not out in the sticks, we were about a mile off a main road. I had full bars and he had none. I teased him and told him a lot of good that 4G is going to do you if you have no signol. Just another reason...... Droid!