From BB Curve to Droid Incredible

phillipsjosh2415

Reaction score
Hello,
My name is Tony and I'm from Harriman, TN, just west of Knoxville. I have had a BB curve for the last two years which was my first smartphone. I actually liked it quite a lot but after two years I was getting bored with it and ready for something else. When my upgrade through Verizon came up in Feb this year I was torn between the Moto Droid and the BB Storm 2. So I took my time in reading and watching reviews and comparisons. After a while I finally decided on the Moto Droid, but just never ordered it due to busyness at work and home. I finally went earlier this week to order the Moto Droid and saw there was a new phone available - HTC Droid Incredible. So I immediately came to this site to do some research and get a feel for this new droid. Even though I just joined I have been reading and learning on this site for the last two months as I was comparing the Moto Droid and the Storm 2. After some research here and other places I decided to order the Incredible. I received it yesterday, but got home late and only had time to look at it a little and plug it up to charge. Will hopefully get it up and running tonight or tomorrow. I am looking forward to the new world of Android - and it is all new to me. I will probably have a lot of questions but I promise to search out a matter before asking a repetitive question. I know that is a sticky point on most forums. Glad to be here.

Tony

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi Tony. Glad to have you here.

You're right, you're in for a huge learning curve, no pun intended, coming from the Blackberry to the Incredible. But I can guarantee you're going to wonder why Blackberry is so far behind the times once you get use to your Droid.

Always a good idea to search first. Forum search isn't the best I admit, I usually do a search in google and follow with Droid Forums. Then I can see what DF has to offer in what I'm searching for.

If you can't find what you are looking for please do ask. We are all here to help each other.

cuskit

Reaction score
Tony - glad to have you aboard! And it will be refreshing to hear a review of one whom has NOT had a Droid first! That's my grief. I love my Droid, but don't use the sliding keyboard, so am looking very intently at the Incredible. But, only four months into my 2 year contract means paying big bucks (or upgrading my wife who is eligible) and swapping with her (she doesn't care either way - just uses the phone as a phone).

So - looking forward to your feedback and review! Thanks for deciding to be a part of this great website! :) mikey

MicheleRF

Reaction score
Hey Tony-
I went from BB Tour to Droid, so we're kind of in the same boat. I'm looking forward to the much better apps the Droid has to offer. I'm brand new to this so we'll see how it goes:)

Michele

OP
phillipsjosh2415

phillipsjosh2415

Reaction score
Thanks for all the welcoming words and replies. After having my DInc for 2 1/2 months now, here are some of my favorite features and a few dislikes (minor) I have for it.

Favorites:
  1. Love the speed especially on the internet. The BB was painfully slow.
  2. Love the overall experience of the internet on the DInc. Just like a mini-computer. The BB was almost useless in this regard.
  3. Love the pinch and zoom and tap and zoom. So handy and fast.
  4. I got used to typing on the touch screen much faster than I thought. I have never been a fast phone typer or texter, even on the BB Curve with its full keyboard but I like the touch screen typing just as much or more on my DInc. It has a great feel to it after you get used to it.
  5. Love the Navigator. It has come in so handy several times already.
  6. Love the screen resolution and clarity. Photos look so real and vibrant on this screen.
  7. Love the camera. Takes great photos in full auto, but if you have some knowledge of photography you can take advantage of the many manual controls that are available to take more control over the photo you want to make.
  8. Email and wifi are very easy to set up.
  9. There are more but that's the main ones.
Dislikes:
  1. Not as many great apps as I hoped there would be. I have a few good ones that I love such as Astro File Manager (an absolute necessity in my book), and PicSay Pro for photo editing. There are a few odd and end ones that I like, but, in my opinion, not even close to the useful apps available for iPhone. That is the one and only thing that would make me still want an iphone compared to a droid, the tons of available and useful apps.
  2. I miss the flexible ring tones and vibrations available with the BB. I could set the phone to ring and/or vibrate however many times I wanted for a certain action (call, text, email, etc.) while in the holster and then completely different if you want for out of the holster. I loved that. Most of the time I coud reach and grab the phone and have it answered before it rang because I would set to 2 vibrates then 2 rings. With Droid you can do vibrate and ring but not vibrate THEN ring and you can't control how many times for each.
  3. Continuing from #2, the vibrate is so weak it is almost useless. So, you can't leave it on vibrate cause you miss all calls and messages. So I leave it on vibrate and ring which makes it ring from the very beginning. Not too pleased with this.
  4. The screen glare in bright sunlight is pretty bad. At certain angles in sunlight you can't make out the screen at all. You have to work it around using your body for shade and try to get the right angle to barely see it. I read about this on reviews so I was not surprised. I was just hoping it wouldn't be as bad as people said, but it's pretty bad. The good thing is that I am not in this situation that often so it is not an every day problem.
  5. I have a problem with my contact card on the People screen. When I edit the card from "me" to my name and then add a photo and save, the changes do not show up on my card on the People list. It still says "Me" and no photo. When I click on the card to view or edit it, the changes are there, but back on the list they are not there. I have asked for help on this on another forum I think but no one was able to figure it out. I don't know of any other Dinc owners that have this problem.
  6. None of these are enough to make me want my BB back, not even close. None are enough to make me switch to AT&T to get the iPhone. They are just a few small things I wish were different.
Overall, I LOVE this phone. I wouldn't trade it for any phone I know of right now. So far, I am very pleased.

Tony