Friend's phone issues

Irma Ruiter

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 5
Hello:
My friend and I are Samsung phone users. Mine is a Galaxy 6 with which I have had no problems. My friend's phone is a Galaxy Note 5. Both phones are less than 6 months old. As of today, my friend's phone has locked him out for no apparent reason. Some apps were updated, he is unsure which ones, and he was requested to restart his phone. Then he was unable to access his phone. He uses a fingerprint security system and apparently no back-up number PIN. The phone will not accept his fingerprint. Neither one of us have a Samsung account (mine will be taken care of as of today!) so Samsung cannot help us although they have tried. My friend does not want to go the route of a factory re-set, as he does not want to lose any contact information or photographs. Does anyone out there have any ideas as to how he can get into his phone? Much thanks.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I am not aware of a way to get past the security of the phone, and that is the reason for the same. If it were easy to bypass the security, there would be no security at all. This had been a hot topic of late with the FBI and Apple fighting about breaking into a deceased criminal's locked iPhone. If a method for getting past the lock is found, Samsung would be remiss if they didn't rush to close up the flaw.

That is also the reason for setting either a pin or pattern as a backup plan. Since he doesn't have a backup plan, his only option may be the full factory data restore. If anyone else can help, please chime in.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Samsung won't be able to help but your carrier should, so have your friend take it in with his id of course to prove it's his device. We've had to suggest this to other users in the past with regards to forgotten passwords & pin unlocks, so this would be your only other option.

S5 tap'n

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Samsung won't be able to help but your carrier should, so have your friend take it in with his id of course to prove it's his device. We've had to suggest this to other users in the past with regards to forgotten passwords & pin unlocks, so this would be your only other option.

S5 tap'n
Yes, the key here is proving it's his. The whole reason for these security measures is to prevent unauthorized access. If the phone was purchased directly from the service provider, and he can prove that he is the one that purchased it then he should have no problems. On the other hand, if the phone was purchased secondhand, as in through Craigslist for instance, he may have difficulty getting the carrier to help him gain access to the phone since there is no way for the carrier to confirm for sure that he is the rightful owner.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk