FRG22 vs FRG01b, which is better?

aggiechase37

Reaction score
Ok devs out there (or anyone in the know)... which one of these freakin builds is better? Looks like the frg01b is the official release (again), but we think that 22 is newer. So all things being equal...what do I want running in my phone? Currently I'm running MetickOne's FRG22 black bar ROM, with a Chevy 800mhz low voltage kernel and love it. Any reason why I would want to switch to something based off frg01b?

OP
A

aggiechase37

Reaction score
Oh and please nobody reply with "if you like it stay with it." I want clear objective measurable facts please!

carpenter_22

Reaction score
well i ran both but on the frg22 i was having lots of freezes resulting in lots of battery pulls. i tried multiple kernels and no luck so i went back to frgo1b running p3's 1000 lv kernel with no issues. so with my personal experiences i will be sticking with frg01b

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Have to give the opposite ... Had FRG01B, skipped the OTA version and installed FRG22, other than switching kernals to get IPV6 support for Google Goggles FC'ing, the phone flies ...

Dude, if you love it, run it. I'd hate to go back ... But may give Sapphire a try later.

nateccnn

Reaction score
well i ran both but on the frg22 i was having lots of freezes resulting in lots of battery pulls. i tried multiple kernels and no luck so i went back to frgo1b running p3's 1000 lv kernel with no issues. so with my personal experiences i will be sticking with frg01b

+1. Same setup...same results

Nate

1linuxfreak

Reaction score
FRG22 is hands down the better of the 2 , used 01b and was clunky and slow , with 22 man the phone flies , snappy , responsive , what the phone should be .
FRG22 gets my vote ! :motdroidhoriz:
No FCs , just fast and smooth FRG22 .

thehirsches

Reaction score
I am using cereal killer's "9046f5a3ec09.signed-voles-ota-45394.zip" file. I am pretty sure it is 01b. It seems a bit slow and does freeze for a couple of seconds here and there. Granted, I have not changed to a new kernel since I have no idea how or where to get a good one. My overclock widget is set to min:55000/max:600000

I may need to do something else to kick it up to decent and smooth running.

Does someone have a link to a FRG22 file I can test out?

carpenter_22

Reaction score
I am using cereal killer's "9046f5a3ec09.signed-voles-ota-45394.zip" file. I am pretty sure it is 01b. It seems a bit slow and does freeze for a couple of seconds here and there. Granted, I have not changed to a new kernel since I have no idea how or where to get a good one. My overclock widget is set to min:55000/max:600000

I may need to do something else to kick it up to decent and smooth running.

Does someone have a link to a FRG22 file I can test out?

HERE is p3's kernels P3Droid Kernels

carpenter_22

Reaction score
I use the 250mhz to 1000mhz low voltage and i run it at 1000 it just seems to work good for me. some droids cant handle the low voltage though you would just have to try one out and see how it works but make a nandroid back up first just in-case you load a new kernel and it freezes you up so bad that you can not do much anything.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Back on topic, I found keyboard issues with R22 and was thinking about going back to 1b. Now having the "official" (we will see about that) 1B in stock I've seen 1 reset. That's within the first 24 hours, keyboard doesn't seem to be an issue.

R22 snappy and faster? Well, there is this word called placebo….:D

They actually are very close. But because of the keyboard issue I give it to 1B.

The thing about it is OP is you should try it yourself and see what you think. It's like asking what Custom ROM is best.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is like the Kennedy assassination - we'll never really know the truth behind FRG01B / FRG22... !

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
The differences in kernals is the max speed, the voltage level, and the lowest speed (either 125 or 250)

Higher voltage = more heat.

You choose a kernal based upon:

1. The max speed you want.

2. The voltage you want to run (start with standard initially, or you can try a LV, but if you get a boot loop on reboot, it means the phone likely doesnt like it). (my phone didnt like the 125 initially, but after using the 250, believe it or not, I can now flash either without issue.

3. The low end speed. I used 125, but switched to 250 because IMO that was part of the reason fo the launcher redraws, the phone was trying to wake up from 125 and taking too long, just IMO again ...

Lastly, make sure (for P3's page anyways) that you grab one for the OS version you are using.

I'm back on FRG22, love it and it loves speed.

djhuang

Reaction score
I went from Chevy's SS4.6 to FRG22 and loved it...FRG22 felt extremely fast, stable, and with very few FC's..but there was one 1 glaring problem for me: Battery life was terrible! It wasn't the facebook issue because I didn't have 1.3 running during that time and after trying multiple things, battery life was still subpar (about 50%) of the previous SS4.6 ROM i had.

However, I decided to give Sapphire 1.0 a shot, and after wiping data and cache and installing it, I found that Sapphire 1.0 seemed to be just as fast and stable, with better battery life than FRG22. Prior to Sapphire, I hadn't been wiping data for a while, so I think a lot of junk cluttered my phone, causing the previous FRG01b builds to feel slow and a bit unstable.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
3. The low end speed. I used 125, but switched to 250 because IMO that was part of the reason fo the launcher redraws, the phone was trying to wake up from 125 and taking too long, just IMO again ...
+1 on the base speed. I had the same experience: I liked having 125 to help with battery life, but waking up from 125 was a problem. Now that 250 is the low end, no more problems. :)

-Matt