Freeze/remove apk files without a proprietary app

Mr. R

Reaction score
Hello,

I am not sure where to put this thread, but I am using CM7. I have tried looking on the CM Wiki, but I cannot find what I am looking for.

I am trying to "get rid" of some apk files that come with CyanogenMod on my Droid X, so that means I'm using the Nightlies. But since I often flash a new nightly every 2 to 3 weeks, the files get restored, for example, in /system/app/, and it shows up in the drawer and everything (I am using ADW Launcher). I am only going to use open source software solutions for this--nothing proprietary.

Originally, I was using Ghost Commander to rename the .apk files to .old files and rebooted and not even logcat would complain. That used to work fine until I put a new nightly on. The .old files were cleared out and replaced with some new apk files. It is fine to have it update the apps, but I still want the apps frozen--not hidden from the drawer. Is there a way to do this using adb or without proprietary apps?

Last edited:
OP
M

Mr. R

Reaction score
Well I modify the zip before installing it on my phone

Good idea. But I also want the other apps up to date. And modifying the zip every time I want to flash a new nightly on could be a waste of time unless I used a script to automate it...