Free Wifi Wireless Tether NO ROOT REQUIRED! via New APP FoxFi

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
p6KdcQ0CusUAuxmahI7jlYX2FYrDRkZsf7S8KS9Dx6PcSt1lgFBRFY_H_1E-EZ87fuQ
nrx7lai_vUDuB2E9SBLFoDeFkQHS8e-1fYkb4mFPRGy2b6LgKMhXQEF4OTAmo07MAz6F

One of the biggest draws of rooting a phone for the mainstream user is the ability to use the mobile hotspot functionality of a smartphone without paying the ridiculous $30 fee. It is the same data being used so why do they charge for the ability to tether that same data, and to cap it can really be infuriating! Until now we have always had to root the phone and install an app like "wireless tether", or if the phone had an unlocked bootloader the internal wifi tether app could be modified. Some users would rather not root their phone! I know it sounds preposterous! Today my brother in law pulled out his new phone at work. He and his wife picked up an pair of Samsung Stratospheres because they were buy one get one free. Now I have no problem rooting his phone as I am very confident that I will not brick it and that I would be able to unroot it if he needed to return the phone yadayada. He however is not very comfortable with possibly voiding the warranty of a phone that he just paid $75 for yesterday! He just doesn't understand like we do ;) So I scoured the web hoping for a simple one click root unroot method for his device so that I could show him that it would be no big deal. There is nothing like this for the Stratosphere. The method is easy but beyond his understanding.

In my search I found the FoxFi free tether app! This has only been on the market for a few months. It has already received over 100,000 downloads and thousands of positive ratings. I tested the app and it does allow you to have free wireless tether without root. This works on almost any android device. The developer states that the app does not work on any HTC phone and will not work on a few motorola phones. Other than that it has a few cool options like changing the network name and adding a password. Overall this is a very cool app. It is nice to see all these root only features being made available without root. Android development has really come a long way!

Grab the app from the Play Store here!

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
So, is it a hotspot or tether? Cause isn't hotspot = multiple devices and tether = one?

OP
DroidModderX

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I know it does hotspot but I think it does both

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

TITRATE

Reaction score
I have been using it for about 3 weeks after the program that I was using started asking me if my phone was rooted. That program was OPEN GARDEN. I am so very satisfied with FoxFi, 3 tethered laptops and surfing on the phone all at the same time for FREE is phenomenal. As far as tethering is concerned, the program that I am running doesn't have an option to tether. For that I used to use Easy Tether. Best of luck.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Dumb question 47? I loose track, er, sorry.

With this I can run my lap top at work off my phone? I've never tethered or hot spotted, I not sure I get it, my phone is already connected why do I need
something else? It would cool to have a lap top at work for the bigger screen and since work WiFi if forbidden this would work.

Sinster

Reaction score
I tried it while driving from MA to MD.. After I shut it down in NYC I lost 3G/4G connection for a good hour. I haven't used it since I got my connection back about 4 hours later. It was most likely coincidence that 3G/4G was lost after using FoxFi.

djembeman

Reaction score
Dumb question 47? I loose track, er, sorry.

With this I can run my lap top at work off my phone? I've never tethered or hot spotted, I not sure I get it, my phone is already connected why do I need something else? It would cool to have a lap top at work for the bigger screen and since work WiFi if forbidden this would work.

I think you answered your own question! What I think is really great is that if you buy a tablet, now you don't need to pay for a separate data plan. This app is great because you don't need to be connected by USB and you don't need to install any software on your computer. I should be more specific and say Apple/Mac computer. My Droid Bionic's built-in wired tethering app works perfectly and for free when booted to Windows 7 and doesn't require any software to be installed.

Bottom line is this gives you the flexibility to use your phones internet connection on any device that can connect to WiFi. Amazing App!!!

Droid Bionic, Stock.

mark7step

Reaction score
Has worked great for me.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

NoBloatware

Reaction score
I am amazed because I thought this would always be impossible without rooting or paying for it. I bet that this is something that might be stopped by any future over the air stock OS updates.

electricman58

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
"ROOTED" Droid Turbo
I got this on my 'stock' BIONIC and it works fantastic. Just worried that VZW is going to find some way to block this app or worse ? Paying VZW an extra $30 bucks for hotspot is a total ripoff. It's my data i'm paying for, so I should be able to rack it up anyway I want to!!!

Malkavian

Reaction score
Just downloaded this and connected my Iconia Tab to my HTC Rezound. This is great. I had been lookin into a solution for this and really didn't want to pay to tether my tablet to my phone. I already have unlimited data. Even though the wifi doesn't work on the HTC, bluetooth works just fine for what I want to do with it. Keeping my fingures crossed VZ doesn't block this software in the future.

magdream

Reaction score
I tried using this with my wife's new ipad. It recognized the "wifi" signal, but it never connected. I also noticed on my bionic that the stock hot spot app/function was also activated.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Wow, I can't believe this made it to the News section. Foxfi has been available for a while now.

Well, I guess at least others might find out about it, but there are other options available to ...without root.

danlehmann81

Reaction score
Great Application!

I downloaded this Application last night and was very impressed. It tethers through pda net free of charge. Within 5 min. I was up and running on the laptop with super fast speeds. Incredible application. These Devolopers are far too kind...if I had created such a Gem I would absolutely have to charge for it lol.