Framework push/pull issue

OP
ecsnead69

ecsnead69

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
ok, thanks. I had been going into accounts, add... blah, blah. Your way sounds alot faster!

OP
ecsnead69

ecsnead69

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I can say that I have not made an update.zip from scratch. I took one from a developer and emptied out the folders by opening it with 7zip. Then just replaced with what I wanted in there. Really simple and like it better then MM since some roms don't like it.

You wouldn't happen to have one that changes the framework-res.apk would you? I would love to get my hands on it so I can tear it apart and get a look at what is in the update.zip... folder structure, content, etc..... Thanks a lot if you do, if not I will try to find something on the forum....

OP
ecsnead69

ecsnead69

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
thanks for the info Hett, do you push in recovery or while the phone is on regular (idle)?

thebowers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I can say that I have not made an update.zip from scratch. I took one from a developer and emptied out the folders by opening it with 7zip. Then just replaced with what I wanted in there. Really simple and like it better then MM since some roms don't like it.

You wouldn't happen to have one that changes the framework-res.apk would you? I would love to get my hands on it so I can tear it apart and get a look at what is in the update.zip... folder structure, content, etc..... Thanks a lot if you do, if not I will try to find something on the forum....

Getting an empty template_update.zip uploaded right now. Just open it with 7 zip. There will be two folders there (system and the META-inf). The system folder is where you will be putting things just like when you push to system. So in the system folder in the template there are three folders (fonts, apps, and framework). These are just think on the droid. Put apps in the the apps folder. System fonts in the the fonts folder. Framework-res.apk and services.jar files in the the framework folder. You have to put the whole file in there or it won't work.

You should never need to touch the META-inf folder except to change the updater script. That is located at /META-inf/com/google/android/updater-script. Open that file with notepad or notepad++. It will look like this

Code:
ui_print("");
package_extract_dir("kernel", "/tmp");
ui_print("[COLOR=red]Installing theme please wait[/COLOR]");
set_perm(0, 3004, 02755, "/system/bin/ping");
set_perm(0, 0, 0777, "/tmp/dump_image");
set_perm(0, 0, 0777, "/tmp/mkbootimg");
set_perm(0, 0, 0777, "/tmp/unpackbootimg");
run_program("/tmp/dump_image", "boot", "/tmp/boot.img");
run_program("/tmp/unpackbootimg", "/tmp/boot.img", "/tmp/");
run_program("/tmp/mkbootimg", "--kernel", "/tmp/zImage", "--ramdisk", "/tmp/boot.img-ramdisk.img", "--cmdline", "console=ttyS2,115200n8 rw [EMAIL="mem=244M@0x80C00000"]mem=244M@0x80C00000[/EMAIL] init=/init ip=off brdrev=P3A_CDMA mtdparts=omap2-nand.0:640k@128k(mbm),384k@1408k(cdt),384k@3328k(lbl),384k@6272k(misc),3584k(boot),4608k(recovery),143744k(system),94848k(cache),268032k(userdata),2m(kpanic)", "--base", "0x10000000", "--output", "/tmp/newboot.img");
write_raw_image("/tmp/newboot.img", "boot");
ui_print("[COLOR=red]This is a template update.zip please change this[/COLOR]");
mount("MTD", "system", "/system");set_progress(1.000000);
package_extract_dir("system", "/system");
unmount("/system");

The areas in red you can change to whatever you want. You will have to drag this file out of the open archive window of 7zip to edit it. When done editing put it back into the correct location of the open archive window.

Once you are done with putting .apks and files in the the zip, I hit the up arrow until it is all the way out of the package to make sure it updates or closed correctly.

Just remember that with sprecovery this needs to be labeled as update.zip but with clockwork it can be anything.zip. Also I have not tried this one on sprecovery, so it may not work.

template_update.zip

OP
ecsnead69

ecsnead69

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Bowers, thanks a lot, never thought about this to change fonts!! This opens up a lot more theming possibilities?!?!?! Anyway, I might be getting back with you for some more help until I get one or two under my belt, if you don't mind???

thebowers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Bowers, thanks a lot, never thought about this to change fonts!! This opens up a lot more theming possibilities?!?!?! Anyway, I might be getting back with you for some more help until I get one or two under my belt, if you don't mind???

Always willing to help :icon_ banana:. Sometimes too much.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I was asking about how to make an update.zip a few weeks back,after making the transition from BB 0.1 to 0.2 I have always pushed all of my themed.apk's and framework-res back into the system after a rom update manually via Better Terminal. I must have twenty .apk's (some themed and some not) I keep in the system, after that push my fingers, hands, and wrists would hurt

Sent from my Droid thru Time and Space

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
i'm no genius with this stuff, and the edits i made to the framework were simply some .png changes, but i simply used root explorer to put the .apk in system/framework and change the permissions to 644, rebooted, and it worked perfectly

i know this post is a few weeks old, and i'm currently running frg01b