Former Treo user now had Droid

Claff

Reaction score
This new stuff is very foreign to me. I've been using PalmOS going back to my first Treo 90 PDA probably ten years ago. After that I moved to a Treo 600p and then a 700p. But the 700 died on me over the weekend and now I have a Droid.

So far it seems like a nice step up. Already have called on the navigation and browser quite a bit and it's faster than the Treo while doing a lot more. Not going to go to the "why did I stick with the Treo for so long?" thing since I don't like to jump from device to device often, and it had been working well for what it was supposed to do.

Only thing to do immediately is moving my contacts over. Fortunately I had backed up everything on the Treo just a couple weeks ago so I have access to all my contacts on my PC, but I'm wondering if I have to go through and manually punch them into the Droid or if there's a way to easily export them out of the Palm software and somehow copy the resulting file onto the Droid where it can easily import the contacts. I exported the contacts as a CSV file but the Droid didn't seem to know what to do with it.

Other than that it appears to be a fairly drama-free switch. I imagine the wife, who's also been a long-time Palm user who currently has a Palm Pre, is looking to see when she's eligible for something new so she can make the same trade.

coondogg97

Reaction score
First off congrats on the Droid and welcome to the forums. You haven't missed much sticking with your Treo. There was actually nothing worth upgrading to on the Verizon network until the Droid was released. The Treo 700wx was one of my favorite phones in the past. They are great devices.

I am assuming you backed up all your contacts in Outlook? You can export your contacts out of Outlook and create a .csv file. You can then go into your Google account settings and import that .csv file. That should import all your contacts.

Another way would be taking it to a Verizon store, but that is hit or miss depending on the store.

And your last option would be reactivating your Treo and syncing it with your Google account.

But I would try the first suggestion as it would probably be the easiest for you right now.

Good luck and enjoy your new toy.

OP
C

Claff

Reaction score
I never used Outlook so I don't think that's going to work. And the Treo won't power on at all. If I put the battery on, it gives me the "Access Powered" logo screen and then it'll go dark and try again ad infinitum.

I don't have a huge beef with having to punch in contacts one by one, it'll give me an opportunity to purge some that haven't been relevant in a long time.

Next question: haven't done a whole lot of poking around the app area but I'd love to have something compatible with Word; second choice would be a decent text editor that'll make files I can attach to outgoing emails. I've got a couple text editors I'm test driving but I'm quite willing to listen to the voice of experience if someone's found the best freebie available.

coondogg97

Reaction score
I never used Outlook so I don't think that's going to work. And the Treo won't power on at all. If I put the battery on, it gives me the "Access Powered" logo screen and then it'll go dark and try again ad infinitum.

I don't have a huge beef with having to punch in contacts one by one, it'll give me an opportunity to purge some that haven't been relevant in a long time.

Next question: haven't done a whole lot of poking around the app area but I'd love to have something compatible with Word; second choice would be a decent text editor that'll make files I can attach to outgoing emails. I've got a couple text editors I'm test driving but I'm quite willing to listen to the voice of experience if someone's found the best freebie available.

The great thing about having everything on your phone sync up with Google is you can do everything online. So instead of sitting and entering all your contacts on your phone you can just do it under your contacts page in your gmail account. Any contact you enter in your Google contacts will appear on your Droid within seconds.

As for anything having to do with Office, Documents To Go is probably the most popular app around:

Documents To Go 2.0 Main App v2.003 Application for Android | Productivity