For those who miss texts from poor reception!

phayke

Reaction score
I am posting this here because this is a major issue I have had. I live in a rural area and have sporadic reception in my house, and work in a large building with dead spots. When I am in areas without reception and a friend texts me, I will not receive it. When I get reception again a few minutes later, my texts will not go through automatically.

From what I understand, the way SMS messages work they will send immediately, and if they do not go through they will piggyback on a different connection. So Verizon will not try resending them to you until it is good and ready, even if you have had reception since then. In my case today I got 3 texts 80 minutes late.I called Verizon tech support earlier with this problem and after describing to him everything, his only solution was to always leave my droid by a window and never have it near me.

If I wanted a phone to never have around me I would not have purchased my shiny droid, so with a little screwing around I found a fix for this problem:

You can fix this very simply by making a phone call and connecting through the network that way. When you connect again through a phone call, all of your missed texts will go through!

I set a shortcut for this on my homescreen with these simple steps.

1.) Added an entry in my phonebook called 'Get Texts!' and set the number as *228. (This number is good to call every month or so to update reception, but you can back out of the call immediately as well.)

2.)Went to my homescreen and held down on an empty space.

3.)Clicked shortcuts and scrolled down to select 'Direct Dial'.

4.)Scrolled through my phonebook to the 'Get Texts!' entry and selected it.

Voila! Now I have an icon beside my messaging icon that I can press when I feel like I have been missing texts and I can retrieve them manually once I have a signal again. Quick and easy.
smile.gif

I hope this helps somebody that has the same problem as me, Verizon didn't seem to understand it very well.

(I posted this in general because it's not so much a bug as it is a widespread issue, but feel free to move this.)

branabolic

Reaction score
how about if your phone ISN"T SENDING random texts? anyways to fix this. i thought random ppl were just starting to hate me and ignore me but then i ask them about it and they never got my txts. oh, and i have checked it with other verizon phones by sending them a txt while in the same room(perfect signal) and my phone says it sent, but they never recieve it

droidreppa

Reaction score
I figured that out myself also. It does work, good idea though on the icon shortcut on your menu. I hadn't thought of that. Thanks for the tip.:clap:

boatman2220

Reaction score
There should be a Wiki put up with all the little tips and tricks that make this better for finding the little things that we're coming across. Not a thread where anyone can post on, a sticky where tips,tricks, shortcuts, and anything that generally makes life and everyone's experience better. Put it up where everyone can see it.

biglipps66

Reaction score
I have this SAME damn problem too. The interesting thing is.. its ONLY a problem on my Droid!!!! My ENV3 I had here at the office never missed a single message.. I just got 3 txts at the same time right now, this is something that is really going to piss me off too :(

OP
P

phayke

Reaction score
I have this SAME damn problem too. The interesting thing is.. its ONLY a problem on my Droid!!!! My ENV3 I had here at the office never missed a single message.. I just got 3 txts at the same time right now, this is something that is really going to piss me off too :(

All of my phones have had issues with reception when I go indoors, but this fix at least keeps things more bearable for me.