For those of you who see the pixelation and have had the phone a while...

AntsMarching81

Reaction score
Just got the Bionic today.

I was previously using an unrooted OG Droid. I was still very happy with that phone, but I broke something in the USB port and the plug to charge it would not stay connected unless I held it there and it had to be lined up perfectly...and sadly, that became very inconvenient and annoying and I needed to let it go. :icon_ cry:

So I only had 3 potential upgrades on my list... the Bionic, the iPhone and the Droid 3. I was very happy with my OG Droid, so the iPhone went to the bottom of the list right off the bat. The physical keyboard on the Droid 3 was a bit of a turn-off, and the 4G LTE on the Bionic was a bit of a turn-on. So that's how I ended up with the Bionic.

Been playing with it ALL afternoon.

There's lots of things I like about it - the battery life has been great so far, the speed is phenomenal, love having a bigger screen... I actually enjoy everything about it except for the Pentile screen. I am one of those people that see the little black dots staring back at me and it's driving me nuts already.

Question: For anyone who sees the "pixelation" (and found it annoying) and has had the phone longer than me, did you start to get used to it or did you find that it got more annoying?

I'm really struggling with whether or not I want to keep the phone. The screen is the only thing I don't like and I don't know if it's a dealbreaker for me. So I was just wondering if anyone found that the screen was a little annoying initially but then maybe had their eyes adjust to it after a while.

No matter what I end up with - I'll be keeping it for two years, so I want to be sure I can live with whatever I end up with for that long.

GohanBurner

Reaction score
I see the black dots a LITTLE but it is definitely not enough to be annoying. You'll get used to it. You'll start USING the phone more than looking for pixels and you'll forget all about it. Trust me. dancedroid

318Droid

Reaction score
I've had mine since 9 oclock release and I didnt notice the pixels until ppl on here was complaining about it...BUT then I didnt notice it until I had the phone up in my eyes, i mean like so close to my face i can almost lick it...I NEVER use my phone that I still have a 20/20 so I have no need to have the phone up my nose just to read something on it...Once you see it, after a few hours-days you wont notice it that much.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
I do see what people are talking about, but for me it's only an issue if I focus on it, like other's have said, incredibly up close. If you REALLY REALLY look for it you'll see it, there's almost no way not to. But once you look at the screen as a whole instead of focusing on pixels it's not even an issue. And the tradeoff with being able to see it almost perfectly outside is more than fair in my opinion. I know this won't apply to others and that's 100% cool in the gang, but this is my experience so I thought I'd share.

And btw I have great vision so don't get me started on any of that...

sk102704

Reaction score
I've had my Bionic since day 1 and when I first got it I was disappointed with the screen but now I'm use to it and I love the screen now.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Crazed_Z06

Reaction score
I do see what people are talking about, but for me it's only an issue if I focus on it, like other's have said, incredibly up close. If you REALLY REALLY look for it you'll see it, there's almost no way not to. But once you look at the screen as a whole instead of focusing on pixels it's not even an issue. And the tradeoff with being able to see it almost perfectly outside is more than fair in my opinion. I know this won't apply to others and that's 100% cool in the gang, but this is my experience so I thought I'd share.

And btw I have great vision so don't get me started on any of that...

Agreed. I absolutely understand what people are crying about, but it's one of those things that I quickly forget about.. like road noise from the tires in my Corvette.

darkmatter

Reaction score
Agreed. I absolutely understand what people are crying about, but it's one of those things that I quickly forget about.. like road noise from the tires in my Corvette.

I like this answer.

As stated, I find the benefits are far greater with these screens. I showed a guy at the vzw store who was debating over bionic/d3. I showed him my battery stats. The screen was at 8% with 3 1/2 hours of on time, and the battery at 70%.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
According to recent data, Super AMOLED + screens are 18% more energy efficient than Motorola's Pentile screens. The reason your screen is at 8% is because the idle LTE signal is taking up so much of your battery percentage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SUPER_AMOLED_Plushttp://www.oled-info.com/super-amoled-plus

As for if you'll get used to the screen, most likely you will stop seeing it, after some time has passed. Humans happen to be very adept at ignoring things that slightly bother them.

darkmatter

Reaction score
According to recent data, Super AMOLED + screens are 18% more energy efficient than Motorola's Pentile screens. The reason your screen is at 8% is because the idle LTE signal is taking up so much of your battery percentage.

Super AMOLED - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As for if you'll get used to the screen, most likely you will stop seeing it, after some time has passed. Humans happen to be very adept at ignoring things that slightly bother them.

I'm actually on the droid 3, so no lte idle for me. :)

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
I don't think anyone is denying SAMOLED is better, but unfortunately the Bionic doesn't have one. Though considering you have an OG droid and are posting these kinds of comments in a Bionic thread leads me to think you're just trolling...gotta pay the toll, troll.

FlipCpt45

Reaction score
The screen on the Bionic is brighter than my OG Droid.. as for the pixels.. I can live with it because I'm not cursing at my phone the entire time...

wingdo

Reaction score

Super AMOLED - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Actually the footnote on the energy efficiency says the Super AMOLED Plus screen is 18% more efficient than a Super AMOLED screen.

Here is the wikipedia footnote link.

http://www.oled-info.com/super-amoled-plus

It makes NO mention of the screen energy efficiency vs the Pentile.

Sent from my HTC Flyer P512 using Tapatalk

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Actually the footnote on the energy efficiency says the Super AMOLED Plus screen is 18% more efficient than a Super AMOLED screen.

Here is the wikipedia footnote link.

Super AMOLED Plus

It makes NO mention of the screen energy efficiency vs the Pentile.

All the screens use Pentile technology, including Super AMOLED +.

wingdo

Reaction score
Users were stating that a sacrifice in screen quality has helped improve battery life, data proves otherwise, no trolling in telling the truth.

Your facts are flat out wrong. Re-read your own reference.

"
The displays are also thinner, brighter and more efficient (by 18%) than the old Super AMOLED displays."