for people scared to root

superglen99

Reaction score
Head over to droid-life.com and they have a 3 part step by step video of how to root and intall droidmod 1.0 on your phone. Its sooooo simple and just takes a few minutes. If your un-sure about rooting like I was this just makes it simple and like I said anyone can do it. I'm doing mine tonight woot woot!Plus you get all the 2.1 goodies like live wallpapers and MT everything :)

barbee

Reaction score
great videos. im taking the plung in aboout 10 mins. i was holding out on an OTA but i aint holding my breath anymore.

1quickv6

Reaction score
I'm seriously considering doing the same thing. Anyone know what will happen to the phone when/if the OTA becomes available?

And to the OP, thanks for the info. Lots of cool stuff on that site.

barbee

Reaction score
dude, i just did it. took maybe 10 mins and easy as pie. and i love pie. if you hear the update is DEFINITELY coming you can unroot and go back to stock in like 5 mins.

koralyne

Reaction score
dude, i just did it. took maybe 10 mins and easy as pie. and i love pie. if you hear the update is DEFINITELY coming you can unroot and go back to stock in like 5 mins.

Mmmm... root pie with a side of OC and HQ youtube... nom...

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
I'm seriously considering doing the same thing. Anyone know what will happen to the phone when/if the OTA becomes available?

And to the OP, thanks for the info. Lots of cool stuff on that site.

Me too.. but what Im not sure of, is can and how you get it back to the factory settings..

koralyne

Reaction score
If the update comes out, your phone will prompt you to update. Should you update, you will lose root. You can disable ota updates though.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If the update comes out, your phone will prompt you to update. Should you update, you will lose root. You can disable ota updates though.

If the update comes out AND the rom you have flashed does not block the updates you will be prompted. I think most roms do block the update.

If you are prompted and elect to say no, but reboot your phone....upon reboot the update will automatically occur.

It is possible to root your phone and not apply a rom. (most people don't stop at this stage though, but you could apply themes and what not to your stock rom.) In that case the OTA update prompt will occur.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Rename otacerts.zip under /etc/security. No more OTA updating fears.

Done and done.

ISUVetMed

Reaction score
If I root my phone using droidmod and something would happen (keyboard malfunction ect.) and it is taken to verizon for a replacement does the "unroot" make it so it is not detectable that it has once been rooted? I guess my question is... if something goes wrong and you have to take your phone in for warranty are the people at verizon able to tell your phone has been rooted if you unroot it and uninstall the app?

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Follow the link I posted a couple of threads back. The instructions to unroot your phone.... unroot it. No root access and no sign it was rooted. dmupdater may do this too, I do not know.

Chatchie

Reaction score
dmupdater does this as well. In video 3 he unroots and gets it back to stock. Even pulls open the app tray and all is bone stock.