Flashing Droid to metroPCS

OP
H

hai916

Reaction score
Okay I did everything you said and the PRL Version on the Droid is now 2001. I then dialed *611 but it still leads to the Sprint Network.

cubano1027

Reaction score
If you go into settings/wireless& network/mobile network and put it on home instead of automatic. What does it do after dialing. Reason im asking is because if its on automatic its going to pick up whatever tower is nearest to you. From what your explaining it sounds as if Sprints prl is flashed to NAM2 on your device and their towers are closer to you. Put it on "home" and try dialing again.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

cubano1027

Reaction score
Try flashing the same prl to NAM2 the same way you did NAM1 and see if that helps. I hate to bail on u but, I got to go to work. I'll be back on around 10:00pm eastern time(its 5:25 where im at) and ill walk u through the QPST way.

OP
H

hai916

Reaction score
Try flashing the same prl to NAM2 the same way you did NAM1 and see if that helps. I hate to bail on u but, I got to go to work. I'll be back on around 10:00pm eastern time(its 5:25 where im at) and ill walk u through the QPST way.

Alright thanks . I'll try and let you know how it goes. See you later.

EDIT: Tried it to NAM2 . Same results. Lol this is frustrating.

Last edited:
OP
H

hai916

Reaction score
Hey so I'm supposed to get my esn added to metro first ?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

cubano1027

Reaction score

Hey, sorry it took me so long to get back to you, been working on my Droid X to port the new Gingerbread over.
You dont have to add the ESN before flashing the phone. Im thinking something messed up when you originally flashed the first PRL.
What I recommend before going any farther is to reflash the original "stock" sbf file.
Get the file from here Peter Alfonso (its the FRG22D file for 2.2.
Then use RSD lite to flash it to your phone (if you dont have it you can grab it from HERE and follow the directions)
That will put your phone back to the original state that it was when it was first retailed(of course updated)
Then, try flashing the PRL again with CDMA WS. MAKE SURE ITS THE RIGHT PRL AND YOU DONT MISS A STEP. I say it in all caps because it is very crucial and REALLY easy to screw up if you dont follow the guides to the "T".
Let me know what happens.

If you want to try the QPST way first,
Connect your Droid to QPST.
Read from phone.
Enter SPC (default 000000)
Go to the "Roam" tab
Where it says browse on the bottom, select the prl for Metro(2001.prl)
Then hit write to phone and the phone will reboot after it writes and you should be on Metros network.

OP
H

hai916

Reaction score

Hey, sorry it took me so long to get back to you, been working on my Droid X to port the new Gingerbread over.
You dont have to add the ESN before flashing the phone. Im thinking something messed up when you originally flashed the first PRL.
What I recommend before going any farther is to reflash the original "stock" sbf file.
Get the file from here Peter Alfonso (its the FRG22D file for 2.2.
Then use RSD lite to flash it to your phone (if you dont have it you can grab it from HERE and follow the directions)
That will put your phone back to the original state that it was when it was first retailed(of course updated)
Then, try flashing the PRL again with CDMA WS. MAKE SURE ITS THE RIGHT PRL AND YOU DONT MISS A STEP. I say it in all caps because it is very crucial and REALLY easy to screw up if you dont follow the guides to the "T".
Let me know what happens.

If you want to try the QPST way first,
Connect your Droid to QPST.
Read from phone.
Enter SPC (default 000000)
Go to the "Roam" tab
Where it says browse on the bottom, select the prl for Metro(2001.prl)
Then hit write to phone and the phone will reboot after it writes and you should be on Metros network.

It's fine thanks for replying. I'm downloading it right now. It's going to work on 2.2.1. as well right? Not just 2.2? And I know this is a stupid question but just to make sure the "T" Key from the Slide Keyboard? I will also have to root the phone again?

Last edited:

cubano1027

Reaction score
Not to sure if the basebands are the same. You might wanna check it out. If not then I would do a google search for the 2.2.1 sbf file, but I think it should work.
Yes the "T" is reffering to the actual letter "T" on the slide out keyboard.
And yes you have to root again.

OP
H

hai916

Reaction score
I followed your steps and I get the welcome to metropcs message. It tells me to diala metro number for assistance. AWESOME :)

Last edited:

cubano1027

Reaction score
I followed your steps and I get the welcome to metropcs message. It tells me to diala metro number for assistance. AWESOME :)

Cool, glad I could help out. I know how its is to be stuck. It sucks.lol if u need anymore help let me know

OP
H

hai916

Reaction score

Cool, glad I could help out. I know how its is to be stuck. It sucks.lol if u need anymore help let me know

Yeah thanks so much by the way. Ur the man haha! I know I'm not finished yet but i have a few more questions if you don't mind. So all I need to do is get the ESN added to metro? How do I flash it for talk and text?

cubano1027

Reaction score
Once you add the esn you just dial *228 and add the phone to your account. Or if you know your MDN, MIN, and System ID(after u add the ESN) dial ##PROGRAM, hit call, enter SPC(000000), and go to User Activation and add it yourself. But, the automated programming(*228) does it for you.
You'll have basic talk/text
To get the internet and mms is a whole different ball game.lol

Last edited:
OP
H

hai916

Reaction score
I see and you can't get the ESN added to Metro by doing it yourself? You'll have to take it to a professional?

cubano1027

Reaction score
I see and you can't get the ESN added to Metro by doing it yourself? You'll have to take it to a professional?

There's ways to do it but its conffusing and illegal, so I always pay a "Metro Guy" to do it. I can do it, there's also other people here and eBay to but be carefully with ebay cuz some are shady. My guy adds them within minutes.