Fix for this? Plug in earbuds = music play on

cowdog

Reaction score
Is there a way to stop the droid from starting the music player automatically when earbuds/headphones are plugged in? Ideally there would be a setting for this. I imagine some like this "feature". I very much do not like it. 99.9% of the time I plug in earbuds, it is not for the music player.

If not, is this something that is a reasonable Sapphire feature request, or do I have to go all the way to Google for an Android feature request?

Thanks.

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to stop the droid from starting the music player automatically when earbuds/headphones are plugged in? Ideally there would be a setting for this. I imagine some like this "feature". I very much do not like it. 99.9% of the time I plug in earbuds, it is not for the music player.

If not, is this something that is a reasonable Sapphire feature request, or do I have to go all the way to Google for an Android feature request?

Thanks.

I didn't even think this was included, though when i tried it, I couldn't replicate it. All I can say is using scriptybox, switch to another music apk, or wiping and reflashing the ROM.

I had never heard of it.

OP
C

cowdog

Reaction score
Hmm. This is interesting.

I plug in my Klipsch S4i earbuds, and the music player starts automatically.

I plug in some Sony earbuds, and nothing happens.

S4i earbuds have fantastic sound. They have volume and pause controls that do not work with the droid but work great with my wife's ipod touch.

volfman

Reaction score
My skullcandy earphones don't do this when i plug them in. However, if I push the button on the earphones, it turns on the music player. kinda cool!

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Original poster, your jack has slack in. When the earbuds are plugged in it is accidentally shorting with something telling the music app you pushed the play button on your earbuds. Been written about quite often.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
C

cowdog

Reaction score
My skullcandy earphones don't do this when i plug them in. However, if I push the button on the earphones, it turns on the music player. kinda cool!

With the S4i, the only thing that turns on the music player is plugging in. If the volume and play/pause buttons worked, I'd be thrilled. Just to be clear, they don't work, but that's a different issue. If there was a way to get any of the extra S4i features working with the droid, I would vote strongly for the microphone.

Anyway, same thing happens with the stock app or both of the alternative music apps via scriptybox.

MonkeyTime

Reaction score
Original poster, your jack has slack in. When the earbuds are plugged in it is accidentally shorting with something telling the music app you pushed the play button on your earbuds. Been written about quite often.

Can you explain what you mean by "slack in"? I have this problem using a cassette adapter in my car. I use Rhapsody very often, but any time I plug in head phones (multiple pairs) or my adapter in my car, the stock player also starts playing. Having two streams of music playing makes for an annoying sound until I can turn one off......

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I've never had the issue but reading about it they refer to having a loose headphone jack. One person fixed it with a small piece of thick paper stuffed down between the jack and the phone housing. This was after Verizon had refused to replace it under warranty.

OP
C

cowdog

Reaction score

Interesting. I hadn't come across that information. I suppose that makes sense. They work fine in all kinds of other devices.

if you install eliot stocker's music mod at

Pirate Media – Android Application Development

and go in the settings, you can untick the box that says "Unpause on connect" and it should stop

Thanks. I will try it.

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score

Interesting. I hadn't come across that information. I suppose that makes sense. They work fine in all kinds of other devices.

if you install eliot stocker's music mod at

Pirate Media – Android Application Development

and go in the settings, you can untick the box that says "Unpause on connect" and it should stop

Thanks. I will try it.

That's already an option in the scriptybox. Just type switchapk into the terminal and see what you need to type to switch it.

Should be:

su
switchapk music eliotstocker