First Time Poster, Seeking Droid X Advice

Garandhero

Reaction score
Hello people,
I have been lurking for the past 4 days reading every thread I can on these boards, about droid X. In addition I have spent the last few days mercilessly reading reviews both good and bad about the droid x.

I am very excited about DX, I want one I really do... My birthday is on Thursday and my gift is going to be a droid, and for a LONG time the droid that has been in my mind has been the X and I hope it still will be after this post.....This is why I am posting here in the droid X forum, not incredible because... well, I want to be convinced the X is better, not told otherwise.

However, I am dismayed, no not because of the bootloader issue (before a few days ago I didn't even know what that was) frankly as long as I can root the phone, and install free wireless tethering eventually i'll be happy. I am dismayed because there seems to be other issues with the phone, lagginess, poor pictures, not as good UI as sense etc...and now with incredible about to get 720p recording and wireless hotspot (on a phone that appears to already be rooted so I could immediatley get free wireless hotspot?? please confrm or deny) I am beginning to wonder if Droid X really is the best decision.

Yes I know its processor is faster, (but wil that really make a difference when Froyo comes out and everyones droid is super super fast anyway??) Not to mention I hear the X's UI is laggy anywhere to do itergrated MOTblur stuff?

What about the other bugs, Facebook Syncing not being customizable for example?

Guys I am at a impass, I don't know what to do.... Help me out once and for all, for my first droid next week what should I be getting, is the X really worth it, or would I be better off getting the Incred. already rootable so I can get that free wifi, and soon with 720p recording and what seems like less issues?

Is the droid X's speed increase really so noticeable that its better, and is the HDMI really that special that its a must have?
Thanks guys. Look forward to being on this board for a while.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
My X is far from anything laggy...UI is screaming fast.

OP
G

Garandhero

Reaction score
My X is far from anything laggy...UI is screaming fast.

Wicked fast response appreciated, and good to hear.. I would like more feedback though if possible, and if anyone can comment on the free wireless tethering and incredibles access to that as well as 720p recording soon as compared to Droid X's that would be great.

FreyGrimrod

Reaction score
Pdanet for tethering? The motorola or android widgits is ring weetodid and I would rather have sense leap but still seven homescreens and phone is fast and the screensoze is amazing especially for gps

dodgersrgood

Reaction score
i played with the x in a store and was blown away by how awesome the screen was. it was huge. i could only imagine what it would be like to use a screen that big. and if u dont like the moto blur, im guessing u dont have to use it

Arcstriker

Reaction score
Hello people,

and install free wireless tethering eventually i'll be happy. I am dismayed because there seems to be other issues with the phone, lagginess, poor pictures, not as good UI as sense etc...and now with incredible about to get 720p recording and wireless hotspot (on a phone that appears to already be rooted so I could immediatley get free wireless hotspot?? please confrm or deny) I am beginning to wonder if Droid X really is the best decision.

What about the other bugs, Facebook Syncing not being customizable for example?
For tethering I use PDAnet... Pictures were great outside... not the best I've seen inside, but still not bad for a phone. As far as laggy... Not my phone... I think it goes smooth.

The facebook Sync is a VERY EASY FIX... More people need to learn how to use the phone and not bash the Sync... The phone now uses "Groups" a Google Group, a Facebook Group, and now even a phone group (for numbers saved on the phone alone) By default it shows ALL... this were people get confused... You can go in to the contacts>menu>display group and choose Google and the phone book will ONLY show your standard contacts in Google (which is where you want them anyway so they are backed up and easily transferable to any android phone simply by logging in to your google account.

The phone has some minor things that bug people. The speaker isn't as loud as the old Droid or Blackberry storm. Very few people have problems with Wifi... I've had no problems with mine other than I had to wait in line for 2 1/2 hours at the store to buy it on release day.

Immolate

Reaction score
Okay how about this...

Who knows if you'll like Sense?

Incredibles have been said to feel somewhat plasticky and cheap. Droid X feels solid.

Because of Sense, the Incredibles will not upgrade to Froyo (or 2.3 etc.) until months after the X. The Blur implementation on the X is said to be relatively easy to upgrade.

You don't need root to tether, although we don't know what the future will bring.

A number of trustworthy folks have said they will get root, even if they never defeat eFuse.

Incredibles are back-ordered to hell and back. If you manage to get one, what happens if it's defective? What happens if Verizon says to hell with it because they can't crank them out soon enough and takes them off the list?

OP
G

Garandhero

Reaction score
Thanks so far!

Still looking for your thoughts on free wireless tethering, would that be available to me immediatly if I went w/ Incredible since its already rooted?
Is this still a possibility for the Droid X, and how likely??

(Basing this off the fact my pal has a rooted Droid Original that can do free wireless tethering....)

Thanks.

Immolate

Reaction score
I know that you can tether for free, but I'm not sure if that is your concern or if it is getting your phone to serve as a wireless hotspot for free. I don't know the answer to that. I don't know if the Inc even has the hardware to act as a hotspot.

I do know that you can plug your phone into your laptop and use it to provide internet to the laptop using PDANet et.al. on the X today, without root.

Arcstriker

Reaction score
Sense

My wife has an HTC with Sense UI it SUCKS.. I hated it. In the call log if you even LOOK at a call it starts to dial it. They should have left it alone. the keyboard sucks, the whole thing feels like junk compared to the flat out Android or Droid / Droid X look. And yeah, the updates are another thing to keep in mind. It will take longer to get updates with HTC than Motorola because of Sense UI.

As well as the phone is back ordered until sometime next month or whenever.

ffej89

Reaction score
Unlike Ark i love SenseUI, nothing better out there. That being said its really a opinion. I'm running the Htc Evo which is similar to the Inc. and its the best phone i've ever had. Either way you go your gonna get a great phone