First Time Droid User

Reaction score
Ive been using a Blackberry on ATT's network for the last 2 years. I didnt have a data package and only used it for phone calls and texting. Needless to say Ive made the jump to Verizon and the HTC Incredible.

Being a first time Droid user Im not familiar with it. Looking for suggestions on applications.

The first thing Im looking for is a voice activated GPS. I have Google Maps, but dont see an option for voice activation.

Second thing is a browser. Im used to Firefox on all 3 of my laptops.

Third is an antivirus (Is it even necessary)?

4th Im looking for something that will allow me to see files I download from Drop Box. I dont even know where the default download location is to.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ive been using a Blackberry on ATT's network for the last 2 years. I didnt have a data package and only used it for phone calls and texting. Needless to say Ive made the jump to Verizon and the HTC Incredible.

Being a first time Droid user Im not familiar with it. Looking for suggestions on applications.

The first thing Im looking for is a voice activated GPS. I have Google Maps, but dont see an option for voice activation.

The Navigation app and the voice search will accomplish this. Additionally, the voice will sent email, text, search, get directions. Very powerful tool.

Second thing is a browser. Im used to Firefox on all 3 of my laptops.

The stock browser s fine. Check the Market for Dolphin or Opera.

Third is an antivirus (Is it even necessary)?

You do not need AV or task killers

4th Im looking for something that will allow me to see files I download from Drop Box. I dont even know where the default download location is to.

Check your settings. Typically, items that you download are stored in the download folder on your SD card. You can view the SD card by mounting/connecting you phone and computer or download an file manager app such as Astro (free in the market)

Welcome! I added some comments above in blue that should help. Here are a few links that may help

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...ps-why-i-have-them-recommend-better-ones.html

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-general-discussions/33236-just-got-droid.html#post348134

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ne...-assistance/116993-new-android-check-out.html

Hope this is helpful.

Mike

OP
whitedragon551
Reaction score
Which Navigation App? Or is that what its called?

When I plug my phone into my computer and I mount as a drive what folder do the downloads go in? The files I downloaded are the ring tones I created on my Blackberry and cant get them to transfer through BT. On my Blackberry there was a specific folder I had to put them into for them to be recognized as ringtones.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score

Look for Navigation it looks like a big blue exclamation point. The Car home app works also

When I plug my phone into my computer and I mount as a drive what folder do the downloads go in? The files I downloaded are the ring tones I created on my Blackberry and cant get them to transfer through BT. On my Blackberry there was a specific folder I had to put them into for them to be recognized as ringtones.

I've not successfully connected with BT. I can pair but not connect. I just drag and drop.

On the SD card look for the Download folder. For ringtones I created a ringtone folder and for music I created a music folder.

Mike

OP
whitedragon551
Reaction score
Ok the Navigation is what I was looking for. I was using the CarID, but didnt need the huge list of default options on CarID's screen.

Which drive letter is the SD card? I have CD Drive F (Verizon), Removable Disc (G 6.59Gbs Total), and Removable Disc (H 1.86Gbs Total).

Last but not least how do I configure my ring tones to use the ones in the download/ringtone folder?

AngryHatter

Reaction score
You'll want a file manager for things like finding specific files or folders and be able to manipulate them.
I like Astro.
I think ringtones reside in the system folder - might be better to use either a ringtone maker ot music editing app to make and install a custom ringtone.
Such as Ringtone Maker or Uloops Studio.

I transferred the piece I wanted to my music folder on the sd card and then using the ringtone app, pointed it to the music folder and there was my bands song. You may want to investigate further as I have found some editors allow for longer ringtones et cetera.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok the Navigation is what I was looking for. I was using the CarID, but didnt need the huge list of default options on CarID's screen.

Which drive letter is the SD card? I have CD Drive F (Verizon), Removable Disc (G 6.59Gbs Total), and Removable Disc (H 1.86Gbs Total).

I have a Mac so my experience is different but my sense is the SD card is the removable

Last but not least how do I configure my ring tones to use the ones in the download/ringtone folder?

Check your settings for each app (email, text, phone) you can add a special rington for each contact. Open the contact and tap edit, tap ringtone.

OP
whitedragon551
Reaction score
You'll want a file manager for things like finding specific files or folders and be able to manipulate them.
I like Astro.
I think ringtones reside in the system folder - might be better to use either a ringtone maker ot music editing app to make and install a custom ringtone.

I transferred the piece I wanted to my music folder on the sd card and then using the ringtone app, pointed it to the music folder and there was my bands song. You may want to investigate further as I have found some editors allow for longer ringtones et cetera.

I use Audacity on my laptop with the Lame MP3 plugin for my ring tones. I custom make all of mine.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I like Astro.

I use Audacity on my laptop with the Lame MP3 plugin for my ring tones. I custom make all of mine.

I made most of mine. Just put them on your SD card in the ringtone folder. When you set the ringtone they should be included with your music selections

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score

Look for Navigation it looks like a big blue exclamation point. The Car home app works also

I've not successfully connected with BT. I can pair but not connect. I just drag and drop.

On the SD card look for the Download folder. For ringtones I created a ringtone folder and for music I created a music folder.

Mike

mkjellgren

Reaction score
I like Astro.

If you use an app like ringdroid (or some of the others suggested) you can just drag and drop whatever song you want onto your phone and edit it to your liking right from the phone. Think of it as audacity for android...

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
whitedragon551
Reaction score
Any recommendations for a wallpaper app or ring tone app? I have Zedge, but their ring tone selection sucks. I was thinking Coveroid or Wallpapers for wallpapers and I dont have a clue for ring tones.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Check out RingDroid and Mabilo for wall paper and ringtones

OP
whitedragon551
Reaction score
Mabilo isnt showing up in the Marketplace for me. As for RingDroid I dont need something to edit tones with. I want something that allows me to just search and download what I want and set as ring tone.